Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Car hirererererer :) hints/tips/warnings?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 250212
    6!!!!! jeez! I'll get good at tolls then I guess. Good to know they take bills, I thought there may just be baskets for coins
    There are baskets if you have the exact change [in coins] and you remember to get in the correct lane! Don`t worry too much Keith, there are information signs well in advance of the tolls.

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always pre pay the toll charge with the hire company and then you can go through the express toll lanes and youcan use it on any toll road in florida

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertcraig, post: 250225
    I always pre pay the toll charge with the hire company and then you can go through the express toll lanes and youcan use it on any toll road in florida
    interesting thanks Robert!

I've heard they always try and moan to get you to upgrade, pay for extra this and that as well? Should I just ignore all that nagging?

Also there's some kind of deposit they take??
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 250226
    interesting thanks Robert!

I've heard they always try and moan to get you to upgrade, pay for extra this and that as well? Should I just ignore all that nagging?

Also there's some kind of deposit they take??
    YOU dont need a deposit if they have your credit card details

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    and if you do go through a toll without paying, like we did by accident, you WILL get charged for it despite the toll attendant saying it's ok so long as you don't do it again :( plus the hire company charge a $25 dllar admin fee on top as they pay it from your card. You don't get away with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keith,

I think what they're talking about is the Sunpass system for the rental fleets. From what I understand, if you opt-in at the time of rental, you can use the SunPass lanes on any toll road and just drive straight through. The rental car companies will charge you either a daily rate or a flat rate for the whole time of your rental contract. However, if you don't opt-in, then you'll be responsible for the tolls yourself individually and if you try to use the SunPass lanes, you will get caught.

The rental companies have registered their fleet license plate numbers with SunPass and there is a camera system that takes a picture of your cars license plate as it passes through the toll plaza. If you're on the "I opted in" list, you're good. If you're not, they're gonna getcha!.

Tom (... hope this helps!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant imagine we'd be going through enough toll roads to make it worthwhile to be honest :/ but perhaps I'll live to regret that thought
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 250268
    I cant imagine we'd be going through enough toll roads to make it worthwhile to be honest :/ but perhaps I'll live to regret that thought
    If you travel on the 417 to and from sandford it is worth it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 250104
    Just another small snippet.
    Most [if not all] roads in the US heading North/South have even numbers and those that go East/West have odd numbers.
    This can be a tad confusing at times though because for example the I-4 APPEARS to travel North/South, it is actually a East/West highway!

Having said that whenever we have asked anyone in the States for directions, we find that they use compass directions far more than we do over here..."Travel East on US 192 for 5 miles" etc.etc., so it pays to have your wits about you.
    The north/south east/west odd/even is only true for Interstates Terry and it is the other way around almost ALL odd numbered interstates run NS or in a circle almost all EVEN numbered ones run EW.

Keith on the 417 exits 6 and 3 go to Disney and they are exact change only.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 250264
    Keith,

I think what they're talking about is the Sunpass system for the rental fleets. From what I understand, if you opt-in at the time of rental, you can use the SunPass lanes on any toll road and just drive straight through. The rental car companies will charge you either a daily rate or a flat rate for the whole time of your rental contract. However, if you don't opt-in, then you'll be responsible for the tolls yourself individually and if you try to use the SunPass lanes, you will get caught.

The rental companies have registered their fleet license plate numbers with SunPass and there is a camera system that takes a picture of your cars license plate as it passes through the toll plaza. If you're on the "I opted in" list, you're good. If you're not, they're gonna getcha!.

Tom (... hope this helps!)
    That's exactly what happened to us, we were busy chatting and weren't concentrating next thing we know we saw a camera flash :( We were in the wrong lane, the sunpass lane.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast