Thread: disneyworld permits for professional photographers

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if we need permits for professional photographers to photograph inside and around Disney?

I've heard that if not they can refuse certain cameras/lenses?

Post Thanks / Like
    hubby has a nikon D2 with a 70-200 and never had a problem taking it in to the parks. as to permits i dont know sorry :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyorerocks, post: 251773
    Does anyone know if we need permits for professional photographers to photograph inside and around Disney?

I've heard that if not they can refuse certain cameras/lenses?
    There was a thread on this a while back - I'm sure it was above a certain length of the camera lense they were questioning.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think from what I've heard, it depends on who searches your bag Obviously there is some sort of guideline written somewhere but it depends on the individual cast member at the entrance I will see if I can find out from one of my friends working in operations
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of things in there really

1. yeah, Disney did a few years back issue a rather poorly photocopied, black and white, picture of a lens looking like about a 70-200 in my opinion and an SLR. Security was told that they should use their judgement on whether or not someone was looking to take professional shots inside the parks but to use the photo of a "professional lens" as a guideline. So for a while, people with moderate zoom lenses were moaned at although largely allowed to go through if they stood their ground. Nowadays I regularly see people in the parks with monopods, 100-400mm white pro lenses and so on.

2. yep, there is such a thing as a Disneyworld permit for pro photographers and this again was a bit of a minefield (probably still is). A few years ago I remember Disney introducing a wedding photography permit because their wedding photography services were suffering due to outside photographers being used. So they introduced a fee. Wedding photographers then got themselves invited as guests to get round it since guests were exempted (or if not exempted, generally expected to take photos and not bothered). So then they cracked down on guests with large cameras/lenses which of course started a whole new row. Then they got moaned at because the fee was too large for a one-off wedding but favoured florida native photographers who could afford it since they did many weddings in a year.

It goes on and on but in my own little pragmatic world the answer is this if you're going to Disney to take photos for your own use, your own portfolio whatever, then take whatever kit you want and as long as you're not going to cause obstructions with it or trip people up, otherwise hurt people, you're probably going to be ok.

If you anticipate trying to make money from the photos, selling them directly, working a contract be it wedding, art or whatever, then you should speak to Disney and get a permit. It'll get you better access but will probably cost something (and something with Disney is often gulp worthy). Worth remembering too that the US is tort central and if you trip someone up with your tripod then the camera and heavy lens bops them on the noggin, chances are high that you'll be looking through your insurance paperwork pretty quickly. Again, having the right paperwork for what you're doing could make the difference between being covered and not.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com