Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a new gadget for my Macbook...

Post Thanks / Like
    As many of you know, I got a new Macbook Pro not long ago. The default pointing device on these is the track pad.

I've never really been a fan of track pads. Always preferred my good old mouse.

But now, with the iPhone and iPad using touch screens and the convergence of Mac OS with iOS, it appears that a touch style interface is becoming more important. When you consider that the upcoming Mac OS X release called Lion is going to rely much more on gesture based input, a touch style interface gains even more significance.

For whatever reason, I don't care for the placement of the touch pad on my Macbook Pro. It's down between my hands and to use it, I've got to take both hands off the keyboard. For me, it's a little inconvenient.

So, I went and bought myself a new toy. One of these:

The juries still out on how much I like it. It's definitely taking some getting used to. For instance, with a mouse, if I want to go to the previous web page I was looking at, I'd just hit the back button in my web browser. With this, I can just use three fingers and a quick swipe to the left does the same thing. It's going to take a while to get used to it.

Time will tell....

Tom (... he's changing? Unheard of!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I havent used mine much at all, cant get used to it but like you I suspect that with LION we'll start needing a trackpad more and more
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 252257
    I havent used mine much at all, cant get used to it but like you I suspect that with LION we'll start needing a trackpad more and more

I'm working on it. It's definitely a learning curve. I forget how many fingers I'm supposed to use to do what. One, two, three? Where's my nose go? Does it work better if I hold my mouth just so? Things like that.

I did pop for a copy of "MagicPrefs". Actually had that for my Magic Mouse. It definitely helps! It's pretty flexible in how I can configure what gesture to do what function. It'll be interesting to see how it plays once Lion is out.

Tom (... your trackpad? She's a goer then? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Say no more!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wendy realises she's strolled into the wrong thread and quietly leaves

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting - do update this thread Tom when you have had a good play - I still absolutely love the magic mouse

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 252293
    interesting - do update this thread Tom when you have had a good play - I still absolutely love the magic mouse
    I will Chris.

I love my Magic Mouse also but have put it aside for now in favor of trying to get used to the Magic Trackpad. So far, I have successfully proven the old adage that "old habits die hard". But, I persevere.

There are some things that, if I can just get used to doing it that way, I like really well. I'll stick with it for a couple of weeks and see how I get on.

Tom (... still trying...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm....

things have not improved.

Still trying to stay the course but haven't not developed a love affair with this thing yet.

Tom (... sigh... miss my mouse!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 252423
    Hmmm....

things have not improved.

Still trying to stay the course but haven't not developed a love affair with this thing yet.

Tom (... sigh... miss my mouse!)
    I feel the same way :/ yet I keep it on the desk and keep thinking I SHOULD be able to use it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 252424
    I feel the same way :/ yet I keep it on the desk and keep thinking I SHOULD be able to use it
    Have you played with the "tap to click" versus the actual "push the silly thing down until it goes click" click? I'm messing with that right now. Truth be told, mine was a bit difficult to actually get to push down so until now, I didn't really know that there was a real, tactile switch in it. I thought it was strictly touch sensitive. Currently switching back and forth to see which I like better.

Tom (... I need more fingers!)

Post Thanks / Like
    yep I have tap to click on everything, really hate having to actually press the thing down as you say, it requires too much pressure because of the surface area

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 252427
    Have you played with the "tap to click" versus the actual "push the silly thing down until it goes click" click? I'm messing with that right now. Truth be told, mine was a bit difficult to actually get to push down so until now, I didn't really know that there was a real, tactile switch in it. I thought it was strictly touch sensitive. Currently switching back and forth to see which I like better.

Tom (... I need more fingers!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast