Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locks for cases

Post Thanks / Like
    What locks do you have to use for your cases when going to the USA? I've heard a lot of talk about 'TSA' locks but I don't actually know what they are?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 252269
    What locks do you have to use for your cases when going to the USA? I've heard a lot of talk about 'TSA' locks but I don't actually know what they are?
    TSA locks are special locks for your luggage that only two people (or you and one organization) can open. That would of course, be you and the TSA. At least here in the states.

Have a look here Josh.

Tom (... that way, they don't have to cut them off should they want to take a peek inside!)

Post Thanks / Like
    The TSA approved locks allows the TSA to open the lock on your case with a key without damaging the lock.

There are different ones around, some are just a normal padlock with a key, or they do the 3 number or letter combination locks. You can buy them in most supermarkets now, Asda, Sainsbury etc, also Amazon sells them and probably Ebay I don't think the padlock type are very expensive so you could possibly get them before you go and if you want to change to the other type, then get them whilst you are away.

We've got the 4 number combination locks in Orlando quite a few years ago when they first came out and weren't popular over here.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    We used the number combination locks when we went Josh, we purchased them in a local luggage store and bought more in Orlando for the extra bags on our return journey.

Once we'd returned home I found a note in one of our cases stating it had been searched. I would never have known had the note not been in it as the locks showd no sign they'd been opened!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 252277
    Once we'd returned home I found a note in one of our cases stating it had been searched. I would never have known had the note not been in it as the locks showd no sign they'd been opened!
    The same thing happened to us I think the new locks have a little green colour that turns red (very technical aren't I ) if it has been opened by TSA

Josh, how many do you need, we've got 2 that we don't use because they are the 3 number combination and Chris prefers the 4. I didn't say before because I had to make sure I knew where they were If you want them I can send them up to you, if I post tomorrow you will have them on Friday. Let me know :) we don't want anything for them as they are just sat in the cupboard.

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 252279
    The same thing happened to us I think the new locks have a little green colour that turns red (very technical aren't I ) if it has been opened by TSA

Josh, how many do you need, we've got 2 that we don't use because they are the 3 number combination and Chris prefers the 4. I didn't say before because I had to make sure I knew where they were If you want them I can send them up to you, if I post tomorrow you will have them on Friday. Let me know :) we don't want anything for them as they are just sat in the cupboard.

....about as techincal as me Wendy!

That's really sweet of you to offer them to Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad I'm not on my own with the techy things

They are sat there doing nothing and will probably eventually get thrown away when I have one of my hissy clearouts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 252279

Thanks very much for the sweet offer Dad just came in with a pair of them from asda though, if I'd have seen this sooner I would have taken you up on your very generous offer
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the explanation guys! I understand now, wasn't sure if they were mandatory or not
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 252294
    Thanks for the explanation guys! I understand now, wasn't sure if they were mandatory or not
    Just to clarify.
    The TSA locks are not mandatory, however if you were to lock your cases with non compliant locks then you run the risk of the locks being broken should your case be selected for a search by the authorities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast