Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Tipping! Drives me crazy

Post Thanks / Like
    Its the worst part of a disney holiday I reckon

So many servers expecting 18 or even 20 percent tips for nothing more than a basic service. How much money can a server make in a day? Why do they expect so much?

I appreciate being a server is a low paid job and they rely on tips but expecting so much is crazy. We wont give a good tip if we havent received good service. We're always wondering how much to give and dont want to offend, it really does cause us stress yet our US friends just throw a few dollars on there and forget it. So is it only us visitors paying 20% for mediocre service?

Why not pay a decent wage in the first place? Your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I quite like the fact they have to "earn" their tips. So many times we go to restaurants here in the uk (like tgis or the outback steakhouse) and the servers have faces like thunder and don't give you a pleasant experience.
    At least in the states they give you an experience! We tend to stick to a 10% tip or if it's been a brilliant service we will tip a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure those here who know me saw the title of this thread and shuddered. I LOATHE tipping!

Having said that:

All servers here are taxed on a presumed 10% so if they do not receive at least that, they actually lose money on the service. 15% is a fair, standard amount to tip (be sure not to include the tax when figuring the tip) and go up (or down) from there.

If you are tipping less than 10% you need to speak with a manager.

Servers are not paid a "fair wage" and are expected to make their wages through tips. How much can they make in one evening? Depends upon where they work and how good they are.

Keep a sharp eye on the tab. There are any number of places that automatically add the gratuity. Tipping on top of that will not be necessary.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    we tend to use the following tips for tipping...

10% for much to be desired service (basically just plain ol' yucky service)
    15% for okay service (not bad and but not good either)
    18% for good service (nice demeanor, never having to ask for refills, etc.)
    20% for outstanding service (and a written note of praise if the server has gone above and beyond)

Post Thanks / Like
    Brill post thanks Jessa!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note. Waiters and bartenders are paid LOWER than the minimum wage here in the US. The tips are considered part of their wage therefore the employer is allowed to pay them under the minimum wage. If they were paid a decent salary the cost of dining out would be that more expensive.

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Post Thanks / Like
    When we visited Coronado Springs food court, Pepper market automatically added 10% to the bill. There is no service factor at all.
    vincent@mickeystravel.com
    http://www.mickeystravel.com
    For A Walt Disney World Quote Click Here

Have a magical day!

My Trips: 91 GF- 92 CB,DL, POL- 93 CT,DL,CB- 94 WL,CB,BC- 95ASSP,WL,POL,CB- 96 DL,YC,ASM,BV,ASSP- 97 POL,CS, WL,DL,POF-98 WL,CB,ASM,DCL- 99 CS,BI,ASMV,POF- 00 GF,DCL,ASM,CS- 01 POL,CB,ASSP,AKL,ASMV, WLV- 02 YC,ASMV,BCV,AKL- 03 WL,CB,GF, POP- 04 CS,BC, POP,CT,SS- 05 ASSP,POR,WL,CB- 06 POL,POP,AKV, ASMV- 07 GF,WL,CB,DCL- 08 ASM,YC- 09 CS,WL- 10 CT,AKL- 11 WL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW Vet, post: 254850
    When we visited Coronado Springs food court, Pepper market automatically added 10% to the bill. There is no service factor at all.
    That's ridiculous!!

We tip very similar to the post Jessa made. We start out at 15% for standard service. We drop it to 10% if the service is below average and up to 20% if the service is above average. If the service is poor it goes below 10% and we speak to a manager. Outstanding service and we give 25%.

All Disney table service automatically bills at least 18% on parties of six or more but if you receive service you think is deserving less than this you can certainly speak to a manager and have it adjusted.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    With the Pepper Market, we have always been seated at a table, had a server get drinks and refill them, remove plates and generally be helpful. I think 10% is a fair amount for that. However, if you object to it, you can discuss with the manager and usually have it taken off.

Servers in the US are paid far below minimum wage and are expected to make up their wages in tips. I personally hate tipping and tend to overtip as a result.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 254869
    With the Pepper Market, we have always been seated at a table, had a server get drinks and refill them, remove plates and generally be helpful. I think 10% is a fair amount for that.
    When I saw WDW Vet mention food court with no service factor I just assumed a complete self service experience. If they do what you mention above then I'm okay with 10%.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast