Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Love or Hate Old Key West?

Post Thanks / Like
    So my husband and I just joined the DVC and chosen the BLT as our home resort. Sadly, because of the Food and Wine Festival starting as we wind down our week vacation, we are unable to stay there this year. We were given the choice of Animal Kindgom Lodge and Old Key West and because of the distance of AK from everything, we chose OKW. However, my husband found a heap of bad reviews on trip adviser. I poked around here and couldn't find too many reviews. Please help me feel more informed about my decision and let me know if you loved or hated it. Thanks everybody!!

Even miracles take a little time.

2-08-09 thru 2-14-09 Port Orleans French Quarter
    3-20-10 thru 3-27-10 off property house rental
    9-24-11 thru 10-1-11 Old Key West

Post Thanks / Like
    Old key west is a lovely resort, I Don't understand what people's problems are. You will have a lovely relaxing time there !

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, our visit was a mix for us.... so here are a few thoughts-
    Pros:
    The resort is beautiful.
    Our 1-bed villa was fabulous.
    The CMs are very friendly and helpful.
    The food selection in the shop is extensive.
    The restaurant is good.
    The bar is good.
    There seemed to be a lot of activities for families.
    Cons:
    The bus service is dreadful. (It wasn't just us, everyone we met was complaining)
    The fast food counter is verrrryyyyyy slow and there's little choice.
    The resort is very spread out so if you don't like walking, (luckily we do) you'd need to catch a bus. (See above....)

I hope that's of some help to you. :)
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    OKW is my home resort and we love it!

The units are very spacious. If you want to be close to all of the main "services", request a room near the Hospitality House. You will be within walking distance of the restaurant, store, the main bus stop, etc. We have not found bus service there to be any better or worse than anywhere else. There is watercraft service over to DTD.

The main restaurant, Olivia's, is great and open for all 3 meals. Goods Food to Go is the "fast food" spot and it is a bit slow, I agree. They give you a beeper and you can wander a bit - go to the store or over to the pool area - and come back and pick it up. But the burgers are cooked to order and quite good.

The CMs here are wonderfully attentive and many have been there a long time. The vibe of OKW is laid-back and relaxing and the resort is very quiet....we find it restorative!
    Happy DVC Members since 1992! (OKW)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys! We're still trying to figure stuff out, but it seems like the main complaints are the lengthy bus rides and how sprawled out the resort is. Maybe I'll do more research about the bus rides. Plus, we're going in the fall when it tends to be a bit less crowded, maybe that will work in our favor. I think some people are just super picky...one person even complained about the noise of the frogs, specific to OKW resort, not just the state of florida!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Missus T, post: 253973
    Plus, we're going in the fall when it tends to be a bit less crowded, maybe that will work in our favor. I think some people are just super picky...one person even complained about the noise of the frogs, specific to OKW resort, not just the state of florida!
    It is definitely quieter for the first 3 weeks of September, the last week starts to pick up ready for the F&WF

I've not stayed at OKW but from what I've heard it is lovely. A dear friend has OKW as her home resort and she loves it.

You are so right, I guess you just can't please everyone all of the time sad but true, but then it's good that we don't all like the same thing as there'd never be any choice :)

Hope you find out some more information and if there's anything else you need help with please ask away :D

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Missus T - I don't think you should worry at all. I'm sure you'll have a lovely time there. :)
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Missus T, post: 253973
    one person even complained about the noise of the frogs, specific to OKW resort, not just the state of florida!
    Disney does place the larger/louder frogs over by OKW, it's in the fine print.

Just kidding of course. We love staying at this resort! The bus service is a tad slower but we had the same problems at AKL. All rooms at OKW have just finished a refurb as well and they look great.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again, everybody! i can't imagine having an awful experience at a disney resort, although i know there have to be a few out there...but i'm a master of thinking positive! plus, i'll be there with people i love so i know we'll have a great time. spoke with a friend this morning who has okw as her resort home and she loves it as well and gave us some advice on where to request rooms as far as where we'd be in relation to everything. thanks for all the help! i'll start nagging again if i have questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to add that when we visited every resort, we chose OKW as home because we loved it so much. Everything is great IMO but the bus service can be slow with so many stops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast