Thread: how do you budget days at Disney?

Post Thanks / Like
    How does everyone budget their stay?

I can see a lot of posts on saving but do you plan out your days money and not go over it? Otherwise I can imagine a huge credit card bill when we get home :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I have a daily budget, and if I go over one day, I reel it in the next. I try to be realistic about things like meals, drinks (both alcoholic and non) and snacks. You'll find that food and drink are main budget crashers! Try to do the "bring your own snacks and water thing" as much as you can, or of course, want to.

Seriously, at Disney water alone can break your budget but if you get a case of single serving water at Publix you'll be spending less than one dollar (as compared to 2.50-3-) per bottle.

Depending upon what you like to eat, and where you like to dine, you can have a large meal budget or one that is more "circumspect." :)

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    That used to be one of the reasons we did the dining plan but if it goes up to $55.00 a day we may not use that any more. We've been often enough that we don't buy things as much any more. It has to be something special and it usually is not plastered with Disney World lol. Tyler is old enough that we don't need all that junk. we usually set aside about $50. -$70. a day, if we don't use it all we roll it over to another envelope. At the end of vacation we often have several hundred extra dollars to either book another trip or buy something special. ( or even to go grocery shopping at home!!! Though that's not that much fun!)

Post Thanks / Like
    We dont really budget when we are there, we have to do that in the few years leading up to the holiday! We take travellers cheques which helps, i think you can get a bit too relaxed if you just hand over cards, doesnt really feel like you are spending money when you use the cards (i dont think think anyway!), so taking a certain amount in cheques with you means you cant spend anymore than what you have

Post Thanks / Like
    We take it all in TC's as well, we know roughly each day how much booked or planned meals and activitys are going to cost us so we take what we need each day with us. Some days we spend a lot more than others. I also like having some stuff booked in advance (like the Hoop de Doo etc) as that feels like the cost has been spread and makes for a less expensive day! Apart from odds and ends at disney I leave all my main spending till one day near the end - that way I know what we really want to buy. We too buy water from a supermarket and then take one bottle each with us and then fill from fountains (I know lots of people don't like the taste but in August in Florida I would drink swamp water if I had too! ;))

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually budget $50 a day and each day what I don't use I add to the next day.

Water can be killer. Bring your own. Go to the store and pick up a 24 pack or whatever you think will suit your needs. Also, you can ask for a cup/glass of water at any counter service and it will be free. I don't mind the water at WDW so I might start off with my bottled water and then fill it up throughout the day from counter service areas or water fountains.

I also save money by eating my bigger meal for lunch. Usually there are the same options, just different portions which equal different prices.

An of course alcoholic drinks are expensive, but that's the case anywhere. I could easily blow my daily budget on a few strawberry diaquiris.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw, post: 255102
    We too buy water from a supermarket and then take one bottle each with us and then fill from fountains (I know lots of people don't like the taste but in August in Florida I would drink swamp water if I had too! ;))
    I also buy water fom the supermarkets, I also buy the individual satchets of Crystal Light which helps make the fountain water that bit more palatable.