Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: New imac owner

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumming, GA. A small suburb of Atlanta.
    Posts
    6,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey FD!

    You may want to check on one thing with Apple. They just started a promotion today that college students who buy a Mac starting today get a $100 to spend in the app store. Details here.

    I know everything has to have a start and and an end but you're so close that I'd be irritated if they didn't let you in. You may want to give them a call.

    Tom(... hope it works!)

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 255444
    Hey FD!

    You may want to check on one thing with Apple. They just started a promotion today that college students who buy a Mac starting today get a $100 to spend in the app store. Details here.

    I know everything has to have a start and and an end but you're so close that I'd be irritated if they didn't let you in. You may want to give them a call.

    Tom(... hope it works!)
    I called and it totally worked! They gave it to me! That is awesome! Thank you Tom.

    I hope to break it open today, as a family member is buying this dell laptop off of me. That's a plus too!

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumming, GA. A small suburb of Atlanta.
    Posts
    6,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 255472
    I called and it totally worked! They gave it to me! That is awesome! Thank you Tom.

    I hope to break it open today, as a family member is buying this dell laptop off of me. That's a plus too!
    Excellent!

    I'm so glad it worked out for you. Apple's usually pretty good about stuff like that.

    Now you've got an extra $100, don't spend it all in one place.

    Oh... wait... you have to!

    Tom (... just glad it worked out!)

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, I have opened it and am typing on it. It's definitely different. I have a few questions.

    1. How do I copy and paste, are there short cuts like there were in pcs?
    2. My internet page is tall and narrow, how do i make it wider?
    3. I set up the mail section for my gmail account, will it beep or chime when I have mail?
    4. The delete button is actually the old backspace button, is there a delete that deletes forward?
    5. Where's a good place to start with the basics of learning this thing?

    It's very cool though, but I feel a little lost.

    However, I did get my favorites in the bookmarks in safaris...one by one, but they are not organized.

    Was also able to get my itunes set up. Am super proud of myself.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumming, GA. A small suburb of Atlanta.
    Posts
    6,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 255477
    So, I have opened it and am typing on it. It's definitely different. I have a few questions.

    1. How do I copy and paste, are there short cuts like there were in pcs?
    2. My internet page is tall and narrow, how do i make it wider?
    3. I set up the mail section for my gmail account, will it beep or chime when I have mail?
    4. The delete button is actually the old backspace button, is there a delete that deletes forward?
    5. Where's a good place to start with the basics of learning this thing?

    It's very cool though, but I feel a little lost.

    However, I did get my favorites in the bookmarks in safaris...one by one, but they are not organized.

    Was also able to get my itunes set up. Am super proud of myself.
    Okay. Keyboard shortcuts are here.

    Mac 101 is here.

    Switch 101 is here. (for switchers from Windoze)

    That oughta keep you busy for a while.

    And yes, if you've got Mail running, it will tell you when you've got new mail.

    Tom(... Won't take long!)

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I've been busy checking this massive thing out. The screen is freaking awesome! I'm so glad my aunt said that she would buy my laptop, it gave me an excuse to open it up.

    I'm in love with the dashboard. How fun is that?!

    Can't wait to receive that $100 from Apple. Look out Itunes! Any apps that I really need?

    I still need to add my printer, I hope it will install easily. Also still need to install iwork and office.

    Oh and pictures. I need to take some so I can see what this puppy can do! Amaze me imac!

    I like the mouse too. I was a little worried at first, but it's nice.


  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumming, GA. A small suburb of Atlanta.
    Posts
    6,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 255482
    Wow, I've been busy checking this massive thing out. The screen is freaking awesome!
    Kinda like having a movie theater on your desk. Told ya' you'd love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 255482
    I'm in love with the dashboard. How fun is that?!
    Widgets forever!

    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 255482
    Any apps that I really need?
    That's up to you. There's a whole bunch available. If you need a fairly heavy duty graphics app but don't want to spend bunches of money on Photoshop, Pixelmator is a pretty good choice. If you do a lot of Photos and like iPhoto but want "more", Aperture is spectacular!

    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 255482
    I still need to add my printer, I hope it will install easily. Also still need to install iwork and office.
    All of that should be a non-issue. Installing iWork and Office should be about as easy as putting the DVD in the drive. For the printer, from the Finder go to your Help menu, choose "Mac Help". In Mac Help, click on "Learn about your computer's devices". There'll be a section in there on setting up a printer. You won't believe how easy it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 255482
    Oh and pictures. I need to take some so I can see what this puppy can do!
    iPhoto here we come!

    You may also want to investigate iMovie and iDVD. They allow you to take your pictures in your iPhoto library and build movie type slideshows with them. Then you can cut a DVD to share with your friends. Perfect for documenting your Disney vacations!

    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 255482
    I like the mouse too. I was a little worried at first, but it's nice.
    The mouse is great. But it can be better.

    Download MagicPrefs and install it. It will install in your System Preferences and give you lots more options for gestures, swipes, taps, etc. on your Magic Mouse. Also works for the trackpad if you decide to go that route later. Don't know what will happen to it after Lion comes out but we'll see.

    Here's a whole bunch of Apple how-to videos for everything from the Finder to Mail to iPhoto and beyond.

    Tom (... it just gets better!)

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips! I know there is a learning curve, but I can't see myself ever going back to a pc. I hope to have this one for a while.


    I would like to set up the time machine. The last time I bought an external hard drive it was smaller in space. What size is reasonable to set up and use the time machine? Also, is there a particularly good brand?

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8,364
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, something I noticed, on some websites I am told that there is a missing plug-in. Is there something that I need to download that is usually commonly missing?

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cumming, GA. A small suburb of Atlanta.
    Posts
    6,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 255498
    I would like to set up the time machine. The last time I bought an external hard drive it was smaller in space. What size is reasonable to set up and use the time machine? Also, is there a particularly good brand?
    I've got a Western Digital 1TB MyBook external. An earlier model of this one. Cost me about a whole $80. Got it because I wanted a Firewire interface although now Firewire seems to be dying out in favor of either USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. It's been great so far. It's also available in larger sizes.

    There's also a bunch of options available if you wanted to do a wireless backup scheme. The external drive is probably the cheapest and easiest though for the immediate future.

    Keep in mind also that this fall, iCloud is supposed to become available also which will provide some backup functionality automagically.

    Tom (... keep on keepin' on.)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •