Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New imac owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by disneymom, post: 255525
    does all the old pc software work or must I start again if I buy one?

Directly? PC Software? No. Not directly. PC software is built for the Windows operating system (Windows XP or Windows 7) while Apple Mac software is built for Apples own operating system, Mac OS X.

Now, having said that, I lied. Sorta.

All the new Macs are based on Intel processors. That's the little iron brain in the machine. What this means to you is that with the right combination of ingredients, if you make the move to a Mac, you can indeed run your old Windows programs on it. In two windows right beside each other if you'd like. Here's how you do it:
    1. Buy a Mac like FD did.
    2. Buy an application for your Mac called Parallels Desktop.
    3. When you run Parallels on your Mac, you actually install a Windows operating system inside the Parallels application.
    4. What you end up with is a Windows computer running on your Mac in a Window by itself.

Doing this, you can keep your old Windows applications and run them right next your new, shiny, Mac applications. All on one machine.

The only issue here is you must be using either Windows XP or Windows 7. Can't be anything older.

Here's a video about it:

Hope this helps!

Tom (... works really good!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by partygirl, post: 255533
    apparently apple now supports windows

Attachment 8734

Post Thanks / Like
    I found an Iomega external hard drive designed specifically for the mac. Are those considered good products?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 255541
    I found an Iomega external hard drive designed specifically for the mac. Are those considered good products?
    Which one is it FD? If you do a Google search for Iomega disk review you'll get mixed results. Iomega had some issues a while back. And "some" of their newer stuff has some bizarre weirdness about it. All depends on which specific drive you found.

Course there's as many disk drive manufacturers as there are fleas on a dog. Everybody's got their favorite.

Tom (... mine's Western Digital!)

Post Thanks / Like
    That's all I've found...mixed reviews on the all the brands. There doesn't seem to be one that stands out as the preferred or most reliable.

I found this particular one at amazon
    Western Digital My Book for Mac 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive (best price range)

As well as this one:
    Iomega eGo 1TB USB 2.0 FireWire 800 Desktop External Hard Drive Mac Edition - 34794 (more expensive though)

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, here's the CNET reviews on storage devices. Lot's of reading material!

Tom (... knee deep in reviews!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 255546
    That's all I've found...mixed reviews on the all the brands. There doesn't seem to be one that stands out as the preferred or most reliable.
    Very true. Especially with disk drives. Like I said before, everybody has a favorite. And all of them can have a problem at one time or another.

I found this particular one at amazon
    Western Digital My Book for Mac 1 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive (best price range)
    That looks almost exactly like the drive I've got. Mine's been perfect so far.

As well as this one:
    Iomega eGo 1TB USB 2.0 FireWire 800 Desktop External Hard Drive Mac Edition - 34794 (more expensive though)
    I checked the reviews on this and like most, there are people who love it and people who hate it.

Sadly, in the disk drive market, it boils down to you pays your money and you takes your chances. Stick with a name brand and you'll probably be all right.

But research the return and repair policies first. Just in case.

Tom (... no right answer here.)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've definitely been to the cnet site. I enjoy reading their reviews on lots of items.

I think I'm going to go with the Western Digital, and hope for the best.

Thanks again for all the help, it's appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok... uhhh... so now you've had it for a bit.

Impressions?

Tom (... curious...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 256951
    Ok... uhhh... so now you've had it for a bit.

Impressions?

Tom (... curious...)
    I love it. The screen is beautiful and I love being able to hit F3 and see all the things I have running.

I'm still trying to get my printer options set up and am having troubles with it. I go to preferences, but all the normal printer options don't seem to be there. So that's a little weird. I want to make sure that it prints the fast, black and white all the time unless I change it, but don't seem to be able to do that.

I have taken a few photos and enjoy iphoto. Then just for fun I tried the imovie with those photos and that was fun too. I just need to get out and take few more.

Still need to buy that hard drive.

While I love having the mail option on the dock, I don't particularly care for the set up of that. So I tend to keep my gmail open. However, having that quick mail option is nice.

I watched an actual dvd on it the other day and it was beautiful! Stunning really. Oh and I like that I can move the screen when I need to.

I have utilized the word program and I like it. I love the full screen option.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast