Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bus service at the animal kingdom lodge?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok more worries hehe

is the bus service at the animal kindgom lodge really rubbish like so many people say?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not at all. I've used it many, many times and it's timely. I honestly don't understand how anyone can complain about Disney transport. It's there. It's timely. It runs on a basic schedule that is increased with need. It's FREE.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Out of all the resorts we have stayed at the bus service at AKL has been the worst. The wait times on the bus on average were more than 20-25 minutes. I actually had to tell the bus driver once that he missed our stop (he stopped at Jambo House but forgot to stop at Kidani Village). We were on the bus for another 10-15 minutes while he drove up to a spot where he could turn around. That's not the kind of service I expect at a Deluxe/Vacation Club resort.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    No kidding! I've never had that problem and have stayed there several times. We prefer Kidani Village, and have always had good service.

Doesn't speak well to have that much of a difference in experiences (for Disney).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 256160
    No kidding! I've never had that problem and have stayed there several times. We prefer Kidani Village, and have always had good service.

Doesn't speak well to have that much of a difference in experiences (for Disney).
    Over the last five years or so I have really noticed a decline in bus service experience at some of the resorts/DTD & the parks. I think part of it is they are cramming too many stops on some routes. For example, we got on the bus at DTD (Marketplace) going to Boardwalk. The bus stopped at Pleasure Island, Typhoon Lagoon, Swan/Dolphin, Yacht/Beach and Boardwalk.

I think at 6-7pm there should be a separate bus going to the waterpark when everyone else in the bus is dressed up and heading to dinner reservations

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Admittedly we don't use the buses all that much as we almost always have our car. However, at AKL we have always found it good. The worst we ever encountered was at the GF.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak, post: 256162
    Over the last five years or so I have really noticed a decline in bus service experience at some of the resorts/DTD & the parks. I think part of it is they are cramming too many stops on some routes. For example, we got on the bus at DTD (Marketplace) going to Boardwalk. The bus stopped at Pleasure Island, Typhoon Lagoon, Swan/Dolphin, Yacht/Beach and Boardwalk.

I think at 6-7pm there should be a separate bus going to the waterpark when everyone else in the bus is dressed up and heading to dinner reservations
    Oh gosh, yes! I have had this problem too. I was astonished (truly!) at how crowded the "deluxe" resort buses were! They stop at more places and resorts than do any of the mods or value resorts! (Well, AKL doesn't... ).

Boardwalk buses (and by default the rest of the buses for the resorts in that 'ring' ) are dreadful in terms of crowding. We actually saw a guest bang his fist on a closed bus door (right after the driver closed it) and shout, "YOU SUCK!" to the bus driver! (At the boardwalk). He was upset because he and his family had been waiting for some time and weren't able to get on the bus (they let others go ahead because they had a folded stroller to deal with).

Post Thanks / Like
    Ach it's so variable. In the early 2000's attendance was down and everything was coping, since then, attendance has risen and I get the sad feeling that Disney have been very careful and some would say, mean, with ramping back up to support the increase.

AKL has a reputation for being a long way out and with poor bus service. In general, we've found it no better or worse than any other with the exception of Downtown Disney buses. We've waited well over an hour on multiple occasions for a downtown bus from AKL.

Since Kidani has been built, the buses seem to like to go there first and then back through the lodge side. This can mean the bus fills up and I've personally observed them missing out the jamba house side because there was simply no space.

It doesn't put me off the resort, I still love it but the bus service is more variable than it used to be for sure.

Of course as Tink says, you havent seen a crowded bus until you've paid mega bucks to stay at one of the EPCOT resorts and tried to get on a bus from magic kingdom at the end of the night. boardwalk, yc, bc, swan, dolphin...... very very crowded.

What would really help the Disney bus system would be an information display at each stop much like they have in many cities these days. A simple "Next bus to the Magic Kingdom will arrive in 9 minutes" would help massively. It's sitting there for 45 minutes wondering if we should get a taxi but thinking no, lets give it 10 more minutes, that gets very tiresome.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 256231
    What would really help the Disney bus system would be an information display at each stop much like they have in many cities these days. A simple "Next bus to the Magic Kingdom will arrive in 9 minutes" would help massively. It's sitting there for 45 minutes wondering if we should get a taxi but thinking no, lets give it 10 more minutes, that gets very tiresome.
    Agreed. Or something similar to the ride times boards at all the theme parks. You walk up to the bus station and it says.....18 minute wait for next bus.

They could simply add more buses as an option as well.

Upcoming Vacations:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak, post: 256232
    They could simply add more buses as an option as well.
    but that would be oh so easy ;-)

I think with the GPS stuff they have on all the buses now, they could really be clever and have a screen showing where the buses actually are!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast