Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teachers on strike....

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I see the point, they're going to have to work for longer and pay more but then so are we all? Why should I support them with amazing pensions when I dont have one and I dont get their holidays or other benefits.

Im fed up and wont be supporting them this time around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Working in a school, I get to see the amazing work they put in and the dedication they have for the job. I'm lead to believe teachers stand to lose 100 a month, work longer, get less at the end? I also believe that we are lucky to live in a country that allows people to strike if they have a grievance. Look on the bright side. Striking in France is a national pastime!

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of the 'time off' they get isn't actual time off. My cousin is a teacher and she does work right through the Summer holidays. She comes home from school and has a TON of homework to mark etc etc, not to mention the amount of time they spend training/retraining.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to lose around 100 a month too through pension as I'm employed by the local authority. I don't know where I stand with this one but one thing is for sure I'm sick of being a scape goat for this country's ills. I know lots of my colleagues feel the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo, post: 256426
    Why should I support them with amazing pensions when I dont have one and I dont get their holidays or other benefits.

Because they provide us with the future of our country?

And that's not easy considering some of the material they have to work with...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 256498
    Because they provide us with the future of our country?

And that's not easy considering some of the material they have to work with...
    no more so than all the other people working hard to earn their living in the country and I get tired of us treating them so gently.

The fact is that the country is in a mess and everyone has to make sacrifices. Even when they do pay more their scheme will still be much better than most people have so it's time to grow up and get on with the job

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo, post: 256500
    no more so than all the other people working hard to earn their living in the country and I get tired of us treating them so gently.

The fact is that the country is in a mess and everyone has to make sacrifices. Even when they do pay more their scheme will still be much better than most people have so it's time to grow up and get on with the job
    A lot of people round here feel the same way. We're all on shortened weeks, unpaid shutdowns and pay cuts. I've no wish to see the people I pay through taxes coming through without any regard for the reset of us

Post Thanks / Like
    I support the teachers and other civil servants

The problem with this is that the press only tell one side of the story (much the same as student fees, but that's another story) For some reason the general public think that all civil servants whether they are teachers, nurses, local authority, civil service etc will have gold plated pensions. This is rubbish, the majority of them will receive less than 6,000 a year and to get this they will have had to put in maximum service which I think is, 30 years of service.

The people that get the gold plated pensions are the MPs, the heads of departments, people like this. Ironically, the MP's pensions aren't likely to be touched

Civil servants have been told for years that the reason they don't get paid as much as someone in a similar position in the private sector is because of their pension. If the pensions are withdrawn and they have to pay more into the scheme then they should have a substantial pay rise There has been no pay rise for 3 years and the rise before that worled out to just under 12 a month. There is now to be no payrise for the forseeable future.

Ok, I can see the point in trying to reduce the money, but that should be for new staff joining the workplace - that way they know what they are getting from the beginning, not exisitng staff.

I know someone who is 59, they are seriously thinking about retiring now, so that they don't lose their pension rights. This person has worked for the same department for 42 years, from what I understand they aren't the only one. If this happens, if people leave now because they are forced to because they will lose their pension, this will cause staff shortages across the board. There is a recruitment freeze so no new members of staff can be taken on to replace the people that have left.

I also know someone who has paid in an extra 150 each month to make up their pension to the maximum years. If this new scheme goes ahead then they will have lost the 39,600 they have paid in up to now and to add insult to injury, there is no way out of paying this amount, it has to be paid until retirement age Ironically, if he'd have paid 150 into a private pension then that would be an annual pension of around 6,000.

I don't agree with unions, and have never agreed with striking until now. I hope that people do come out on the 30th June and I hope that a National Strike is called at some point and brings the country to a standstill. I know this isn't eveyone's opinion but it's the way I feel

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am afraid all workers have to get real there is not enough money around we just have to grin and bear it we all think we are special cases

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know anything about the teachers in the UK. However, teachers here in the US are among the most woefully underpaid workers. When you consider their jobs and the responsibilities with which they are entrusted they should be making a lot more. However, most of our states are in a severe financial crunch, along with the federal government and I don't see either them or us getting much in the way of raises over the next few years. And then of course you have professional athletes, but don't even let me get started on how overpaid they are.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast