Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teachers on strike....

Post Thanks / Like
    A teacher in the UK working outside of London will earn generally somewhere between 25k and 30k a year. And have to put up with physical and verbal abuse from children and adults, spend their weekends planning and marking, have so much paperwork they will often be in the classroom by 7am and still be working at 9pm.

Wayne Rooney gets 250k a week to kick a ball around a field.

I know who I'm supporting and I agree with everything Wendy says. The press give teachers a raw deal.

If the cuts go ahead the teacher I work with will get less out of her pension than she actually pays into it.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a thread running on another forum I frequent and they are slatting teachers. The majority of posters on that thread have barely set foot inside a classroom. How does that qualify them to have such a strong opinion?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you need to stand alongside a teacher in a classroom to see just what a difficult job it is.

Knowing there's a decent retirement waiting is a major incentive in keeping some of our best teachers in the profession.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 256564
    There is a thread running on another forum I frequent and they are slatting teachers. The majority of posters on that thread have barely set foot inside a classroom. How does that qualify them to have such a strong opinion?
    Sadly, they have nothing better to do Claire Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but they don't actually know both sides of the story and just believe everything they see in the press.

I wonder if these same people think that it is right that the young men and women who serve their country should have to work longer for low pay and less pension as well as police officers, fire fighters, nurses, teachers, teacher support workers, the civil servants that deal with all the child benefit and family tax credits and so the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn
    If the cuts go ahead the teacher I work with will get less out of her pension than she actually pays into it.
    it's disgusting Dawn, but all people seem to think is "so what, I'm paying their pension" they shouldn't get it

To play the devil's advocate, another side of the coin is that a lot of pensioners that only have the state pension, get their money made up with pension credits, council tax payments etc, this is all being paid by the tax payers that are against the teachers etc pensions - are they are also against the elderly getting help to live as well

The stupid thing in all this is that, the majority of people who are likely to have their pensions cut are the same people that would probably not be eligible to claim pension credits if their pensions were left alone. So all that is going to happen is it will be a case of the government robbing Peter to pay Paul

Another thing is, who do you think pays the state pension - the tax payer

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertcraig, post: 256517
    I am afraid all workers have to get real there is not enough money around we just have to grin and bear it we all think we are special cases
    I agree with that Robert.

Everyone wants more, no one wants to sacrifice but it's unavoidable and we're all in it together.

to go on strike so soon is crazy, What a way to care for the kids hey?

I hope the government stand tough on this one and we'll ride out whatever strikes come along. I'm behind them all the way and hope they break the strike rather than making us all have to pay for these huge benefits

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not just teachers striking but it's just teacher that are getting all the flack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 256610
    It's not just teachers striking but it's just teacher that are getting all the flack.
    I agree but the reason is that it's the teachers that will inconvenience the parents and you musn't do that :rolleyes008: which is why they always pick on the teachers

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    IT is not just teachers and public service employes but everybody must realise there is not enough money to pay for the current level of pensions

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that's fine for new entrants to the profession but for the teacher at my school who retires in 4 weeks and now could only be getting two thirds of what she had planned for it's a real smack in the face. Especially after nearly 40 years of teaching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 256673
    Well that's fine for new entrants to the profession but for the teacher at my school who retires in 4 weeks and now could only be getting two thirds of what she had planned for it's a real smack in the face. Especially after nearly 40 years of teaching.
    completely agree Dawn, it makes me sick that people like her are being ripped off I genuinely feel sorry for her It's a complete joke.

I wonder if the opinion of the public would change if the Government said, ok from 2012, there will been no more state pension as it is costing us too much to keep it going Who knows, this could be the next, after all it's costing the tax payer a fortune

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast