Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time running out to see Shuttle take offs!

Post Thanks / Like
    The shuttle is due to be retired in 2010 :(

From WESH news
    http://www.wesh.com/news/16814384/detail.html

"NASA has decided on the target launch dates in 2009 and 2010 for the eight remaining space shuttle missions.

One flight to the Hubble space telescope, seven assembly flights to the International Space Station and two station contingency flights are planned before the shuttle retires.
    Click here to find out more!

Although the dates could still change, NASA hopes to finish assembly of the station and to phase out the shuttle fleet as they move toward new launch vehicles, such as Ares and Orion.

The shuttle flights in 2009 will begin on Feb. 12 with a launch of space shuttle Discovery for a 14-day mission.

The second flight of 2009 will be on May 15 with Endeavour's 23rd mission. This is a 15-day mission with five planned spacewalks. It will be delivering six new batteries for the P6 truss, a spare drive unit for the Mobile Transporter and a spare boom assembly for the Ku-band antenna.

On July 30, 2009, will be the third flight of the year. Atlantis will set sail on its 31st flight -- an 11-day mission carrying science and storage racks to the station with three planned spacewalks.

Oct. 15 marks the fourth flight of 2009 with the Discovery's 37th mission. It will be a 15-day flight with at least three spacewalks.

Endeavour will finish up 2009 on Dec. 10 with its 24th mission that will last 11 days and have at least three spacewalks.

The shuttle flights of 2010 begin on Feb. 11 with space shuttle Atlantis' 32nd mission.

On April 8, 2010, Discovery will have its 38th mission. At least three spacewalks are planned to stage spare components outside the station.

May 31 marks the third flight of 2010 and the final flight of the manifest. Endeavour's 25th mission will carry critical spare components that will be placed on the outside of the station. The mission will last 15 days and will be the 35th to the station."
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh that's sad, but I suppose it had to come :( In all the times we've been to Florida, we've never been there to see a launch. I'd like to have seen one :sigh;

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 23894
    Oh that's sad, but I suppose it had to come :( In all the times we've been to Florida, we've never been there to see a launch. I'd like to have seen one :sigh;
    oh its mind blowing! The whole ground, well really your whole world just shakes all around you and you get this sense of the huge power of the thing. Never seen anything else like it
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sad too and ive never seen one either, gutted, but the new ships will be more up to date I'm so looking forward to seeing those

off to look on the NASA site to see if there are any pix and launches in oct :D
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    We saw Discovery launch when we were on our honeymoon, Jan. 1993. It is an incredible thing to see in person!!! I'd love to see a launch one more time...more importantly, I'd love for the kids to see it..
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of years ago we were in Epcot and saw a bunch of people standing on the bridge looking in the sky. We had no idea what was going on so we asked and we were told that there was about to be a launch and a few seconds later you could see it way off in the distance.It was a cool unexpected experience.

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Post Thanks / Like
    They better keep that May 15th launch on schedule!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 23894
    I hope you get to see one, it is an amazing experience

Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 23899
    oh its mind blowing! The whole ground, well really your whole world just shakes all around you and you get this sense of the huge power of the thing. Never seen anything else like it
    It really is mind blowing Totally amazing experience

Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 23912
    I'm sad too and ive never seen one either, gutted, but the new ships will be more up to date I'm so looking forward to seeing those

off to look on the NASA site to see if there are any pix and launches in oct :D
    Hope you get to see one too Mick.

Nicki

Post Thanks / Like
    what i dont understand is why they havent said about new ships yet or even built and tested the new designs.....how are they going to feed the space station after the shuttles are retired....unless thay have but ive not seen anything at all
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    bummer i miss the atlantis launch by 9 days :(
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast