Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how many dvc points is useful?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 257424
    1. I would say 4 adults and 2 kids. We like to have some room to spread out.
    2. We usually go in October. We would try other times of year, but we like Fall best.
    3. Not sure of this one. I really don't know what is available right now.
    4. We would like 2 weeks I think.
    5. Budget..hmmm. Hard to say. With as expensive as the DVC is I think the budget is already blown..

Thanks! I would love to have an idea of what we are shooting for
    Based on this information, I think you would be looking at a 2BR villa for your number of people.

September, October, and early November are some of the cheapest times to go, point wise, so that works well.

I would highly recommend visiting the resorts if possible before you buy. I was set on buying Boardwalk until we went to visit Old Key West and fell in love. Remember, all resorts are available on the resale market so you can get whatever you want if you don't mind the resale restrictions.

So, for 2 weeks in October in a 2BR you are looking at anywhere from 464 points at Old Key West up to 760 points in a Magic Kingdom view room at Bay Lake Tower. That is certainly a lot of points.

A few options are, just do a week and cut those points in half. Just go every other year and cut those points in half. Rent two studios instead of a two bedroom and knock it down to 312 points for Old Key West and 584 for BLT.

The best advice I would give is to look into resale. You can get points at 50% or less of what Disney is selling them for if you like Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, or even Boardwalk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyeater, post: 257447
    Based on this information, I think you would be looking at a 2BR villa for your number of people.

September, October, and early November are some of the cheapest times to go, point wise, so that works well.

I would highly recommend visiting the resorts if possible before you buy. I was set on buying Boardwalk until we went to visit Old Key West and fell in love. Remember, all resorts are available on the resale market so you can get whatever you want if you don't mind the resale restrictions.

So, for 2 weeks in October in a 2BR you are looking at anywhere from 464 points at Old Key West up to 760 points in a Magic Kingdom view room at Bay Lake Tower. That is certainly a lot of points.

A few options are, just do a week and cut those points in half. Just go every other year and cut those points in half. Rent two studios instead of a two bedroom and knock it down to 312 points for Old Key West and 584 for BLT.

The best advice I would give is to look into resale. You can get points at 50% or less of what Disney is selling them for if you like Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, or even Boardwalk.
    Thank you so much for the information!! Good to know what we are looking at. I honestly would never to the resale. We have a friend who just bought in that way and with the restrictions on where they can stay and the reduced years (only 45 I think) it really doesn't seem worth it. They also wanted to stay at HH and needed to go back and buy a whole new set of points to be able to do it. Doesn't seem like much of a savings to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 257451
    Thank you so much for the information!! Good to know what we are looking at. I honestly would never to the resale. We have a friend who just bought in that way and with the restrictions on where they can stay and the reduced years (only 45 I think) it really doesn't seem worth it. They also wanted to stay at HH and needed to go back and buy a whole new set of points to be able to do it. Doesn't seem like much of a savings to me.
    I think you need to look more closely at the resale restrictions. You can stay at any DVC resort, including Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. The number of years you own is based on the resort you choose. It has nothing to do with resale vs. direct purchase. The ending years for each resort follows:

Resort Opening Date Contract End
    OKW Fall 1991 Jan 2042 or 2057
    VB Fall 1995 Jan 2042
    HHI Mar 1996 Jan 2042
    BWV July 1996 Jan 2042
    VWL Nov 2000 Jan 2042
    BCV July 2002 Jan 2042
    SSR May 2004 Jan 2054
    AKV July 2007 Jan 2057
    BLT Aug 2009 Jan 2060
    VGC Sep 2009 Jan 2060
    AKO Aug 2011 Jan 2061

Not trying to tell you what to buy, but want to make sure you understand the restrictions correctly. You basically cannot use your points for a cruise, a adventure by Disney collection, or the Disney hotel rooms that are not Disney Vacation Club resorts. Most members find these options to not be a good value for their points anyway and choose to rent their points and pay for the vacation with cash if they want to do one of these options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyeater, post: 257468
    I think you need to look more closely at the resale restrictions. You can stay at any DVC resort, including Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. The number of years you own is based on the resort you choose. It has nothing to do with resale vs. direct purchase. The ending years for each resort follows:

Resort Opening Date Contract End
    OKW Fall 1991 Jan 2042 or 2057
    VB Fall 1995 Jan 2042
    HHI Mar 1996 Jan 2042
    BWV July 1996 Jan 2042
    VWL Nov 2000 Jan 2042
    BCV July 2002 Jan 2042
    SSR May 2004 Jan 2054
    AKV July 2007 Jan 2057
    BLT Aug 2009 Jan 2060
    VGC Sep 2009 Jan 2060
    AKO Aug 2011 Jan 2061

Not trying to tell you what to buy, but want to make sure you understand the restrictions correctly. You basically cannot use your points for a cruise, a adventure by Disney collection, or the Disney hotel rooms that are not Disney Vacation Club resorts. Most members find these options to not be a good value for their points anyway and choose to rent their points and pay for the vacation with cash if they want to do one of these options.
    Interesting. I do know that what my friends purchased was the DVC- less what the original purchaser had already used. I also know that they wanted to visit HH and had to purchase another set of points in order to do it. Really it doesn't make much difference though, it isn't something I would do. Dh and I figure that if we are spending that kind of money then we want the full package direct from the company. It isn't something we want to fool around with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 257471
    Interesting. I do know that what my friends purchased was the DVC- less what the original purchaser had already used. I also know that they wanted to visit HH and had to purchase another set of points in order to do it. Really it doesn't make much difference though, it isn't something I would do. Dh and I figure that if we are spending that kind of money then we want the full package direct from the company. It isn't something we want to fool around with.
    Well, obviously it is your money and your decision, but I think if you are going to spend the kind of money you are looking at for 2 weeks in a 2 BR every year, 50% savings is a significant amount.

Again, your decision, but I think you are doing yourself a dis-service by not at least looking into resale a little further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyeater, post: 257472
    Well, obviously it is your money and your decision, but I think if you are going to spend the kind of money you are looking at for 2 weeks in a 2 BR every year, 50% savings is a significant amount.

Again, your decision, but I think you are doing yourself a dis-service by not at least looking into resale a little further.
    Thank you.

I was really just looking to see the amount of point that would work for us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 257479
    Thank you.

I was really just looking to see the amount of point that would work for us.
    I hope I was able to help you out with that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12