Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how many dvc points is useful?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive always wondered this when I hear people talk about dvc

How many points is a useful amount? I mean for say a 2 week stay each year at a decent hotel?

Post Thanks / Like
    It really depends on what time of year you plan to go

Post Thanks / Like
    We have 160 points and that gets us 18 nights every other year in a studio in August. So about 9 nights in August every year in a studio - obviously other times of the year are more points per night (August is quite low in points per night) and larger accommodations are more points per night. :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    DVC points are best used at DVC resorts. There are several choices of those resorts at WDW (and elsewhere but thats another feature of DVC).

How many points you want or "need" will depend upon the accommodation you want. Studios take less points than other forms, but one bedrooms (and up) have so many additional features that some folks decide they "need" that over the studio. Also, of course it will depend upon how many people in your party. Studios hold four adults and one child under three (in a port-a-crib). That's pretty crowded by my standards, but many, many people are ok with it.

It also depends upon where you want to stay. Old Key West takes the least amount of points, for the same accommodation as other DVC resorts. We find OKW to be one of the very nicest DVC resorts, but will gladly admit our bias. :D

It also depends, as already stated, on when you want to be at WDW. The year is divided up into four categories with each category requiring more points than the next.

For example, a studio at OKW will take less point in value season than it will Christmas Week (the highest point usage).

If you use your points to stay in a non-DVC resort room, such at Grand Floridian, you will use more points than it would have taken to stay in a DVC accommodation for the same time period at the same time of year.

Hope that helps a bit?

We have 310 points (since 1996) and still wish we'd bought more when we bought in!

I believe the minimum is now 160 (where is used to be 150) points. There is a maximum allowed points too, but I don't remember such lofty numbers. :D (The maximum was put into place so there wouldn't be any instances of retiring at WDW, or so the story goes).

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    We just bought into DVC in may and we bought the 100 point a year package, which looked like the minimum, tink, but i don't know for sure. we can't quite stay for two weeks a year, but it's definitely worth calling them for some info. they'll send an email link that shows the point system and how much a stay costs, at which resort, for what time of year. we prefer disney in the off season, so that works out even better for us. good luck!

Even miracles take a little time.

2-08-09 thru 2-14-09 Port Orleans French Quarter
    3-20-10 thru 3-27-10 off property house rental
    9-24-11 thru 10-1-11 Old Key West

Post Thanks / Like
    100 points! That's less for a minimum than when we bought in. It was 150 minimum points then.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Ooo..does anyone have that email link? I would love to have that information to really get an idea of what we would be looking at cost wise

Post Thanks / Like
    The number of points you should get is basically dependant on 5 things:

1. Number of people or size of room
    2. Time of year (although you may find this changes over the years)
    3. The resort you plan to stay in
    4. How long or often you plan to stay
    5. Your budget

With that information you can better assess how many points are optimal for your situation. If you want to post some of the info above, I can offer some suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyeater, post: 257409
    The number of points you should get is basically dependant on 5 things:

1. Number of people or size of room
    2. Time of year (although you may find this changes over the years)
    3. The resort you plan to stay in
    4. How long or often you plan to stay
    5. Your budget

With that information you can better assess how many points are optimal for your situation. If you want to post some of the info above, I can offer some suggestions.
    1. I would say 4 adults and 2 kids. We like to have some room to spread out.
    2. We usually go in October. We would try other times of year, but we like Fall best.
    3. Not sure of this one. I really don't know what is available right now.
    4. We would like 2 weeks I think.
    5. Budget..hmmm. Hard to say. With as expensive as the DVC is I think the budget is already blown..

Thanks! I would love to have an idea of what we are shooting for :D

Post Thanks / Like
    4 adults and 2 kids would need a two bedroom villa or two studios.

OKW is the least expensive, points wise. By that I mean it takes less points to stay in OKW than it does in the other DVCs.

Kidani Village is a GREAT DVC for kids! (And adults who love animals).

Buy where you want to stay the most, is the general concept for DVC. It's not as huge a deal when talking about the on property WDW DVCs, because let's face it, you are on property! :D

It does matter if you are considering buying into Vero Beach or Hilton Head (and "old" way to get into DVC for a bit less, not sure if that is still the case). In the early years, people bought into Vero Beach, for instance, because it was less comparatively than the other DVCs. However, with the growth of DVC, it's trickier and trickier to book stays at other than your home resort, so buy where you most want to stay.

I checked HH and VB for any availability this entire summer (long weekends, not during the week) and there is NO availability!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast