Thread: Walt Disney World no longer running monorails during park Extra Magic Hours

Post Thanks / Like
    A rumor popped up a few days ago that monorails would no longer be running during Extra Magic Hours (EMH) at the Walt Disney World parks. It now seems as if those rumors have become a reality. This could cause some commotion with resort guests, but it remains to be seen.

Disney has now confirmed that the monorails will no longer run during EMH for Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Word is that extra bus transportation will be put into place to help accomodate for the extra guest traffic.

The official word from Disney:

From time to time, we make adjustments to our operations to accommodate for planned transportation maintenance. With that in mind, operating hours for the Epcot Monorail system will be modified to operate one hour after regular park close beginning July 11, 2011 and the Magic Kingdom Monorail system will also operate one hour after regular park close beginning August 1, 2011. At that time, watercraft (where applicable) and additional buses will be available to transport guests to their destination.

Return service from evening Extra Magic Hours in the parks will be supported by watercraft (where applicable) and bus transportation.
    More details are sure to come, but this could be a problem for guests of the Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian resorts which happen to be on the monorail line with Magic Kingdom. There is no word yet as to whether the Express Monorail from the Transportation and Ticket Center will continue running into the late hours, but it now appears as if none will be operational at that time.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel sorry for Guest Services at those resorts. They are going to get an earfull from many unhappy guests who are paying top dollar. I'll have to check that out myself
    vincent@mickeystravel.com
    http://www.mickeystravel.com
    For A Walt Disney World Quote Click Here

Have a magical day!

My Trips: 91 GF- 92 CB,DL, POL- 93 CT,DL,CB- 94 WL,CB,BC- 95ASSP,WL,POL,CB- 96 DL,YC,ASM,BV,ASSP- 97 POL,CS, WL,DL,POF-98 WL,CB,ASM,DCL- 99 CS,BI,ASMV,POF- 00 GF,DCL,ASM,CS- 01 POL,CB,ASSP,AKL,ASMV, WLV- 02 YC,ASMV,BCV,AKL- 03 WL,CB,GF, POP- 04 CS,BC, POP,CT,SS- 05 ASSP,POR,WL,CB- 06 POL,POP,AKV, ASMV- 07 GF,WL,CB,DCL- 08 ASM,YC- 09 CS,WL- 10 CT,AKL- 11 WL

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not very good at all, I can't believe that Disney would be so silly as to do something like this

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't imagine waiting for a bus to the Contemporary from the MK. Nor, can I say I'd be happy walking from MK to BLT or the Contemporary after EMH. Talk about exhausted.

Disney does make some seemingly odd decisions sometimes. Maybe the cost of the Monorail operation is so high, it's worth it to try and lower overhead?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not be happy if I was staying in one of the MK resorts

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say though, working as a CM has opened my eyes to some of the choices Disney make. They seem like stupid decisions but there are often very sensible reasons behind them. I'm finding it hard to see the reason behind this one though
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is one of the perks for staying at the monorail resorts. I don't get this decision at all especially on the tails of another ticket price hike. I can only imagine what the bus and boat wait times are going to be now. This might actually discourage me from taking advantage of EMH or discourage me from staying at a monorail resort.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been looking round for some more information on this and there is some talk that it won't be a permanent thing, the monorails need repairing, which is why it's happening

Hhhmm, maybe I should ask Josh if he could find out some information for us

Post Thanks / Like
    Historical crowd data seems to indicate that there aren't all that many folks who actually stay for the full three hours. Add to it, as Wendy says, they really need maintenance time on the monorails.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 257876
    Add to it, as Wendy says, they really need maintenance time on the monorails.
    Especially since the last time the monorails were this old they just replaced them with new updated models. Disney is in uncharted territory here.

Still, not a fan of this move. They couldn't have done this during offseason when crowds were less?

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]