Thread: DVC Member Event today

Post Thanks / Like
    We attended the DVC Member event today, held at SSR. There were several sessions available, for which you needed to pre-register.

It was a pleasant little film presentation with two hosts. The film consisted of mostly introducing the new Hawaiian DVC. Beautiful!

There were incentives (amounts off) for purchasing additional points. Unfortunately, Herself now thinks we need to take advantage of those incentives! (I think we have enough points thanks, and nearly gasped aloud at the point costs of "today")!

Depending upon where you choose to purchase, the points range from $99 each to $140!!!

After the short film we then toured the model for the Hawaiian DVC. It's lovely, but no surprises.

There was a light luncheon buffet offered. Very nice! We also received a $40 AMC gift card. That was a real surprise! There was a "tote" (think grocery re-useable bag) with a paper carrier distributed to all who attended.

All in all, it was a nice way to spend about an hour.

Too viciously hot (and I have that miserable knee) to do anything but get in the car and come home at the end.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at the 5pm session!

I can't decide if I want to be a member or not now. It would be great if I knew I wanted to stay in the Orlando area and visit Disney the rest of my life but, there are too many unknown variables.

If you were a family and vacationed at WDW a lot, it is a GREAT deal and I would jump on board in a second if I had kids.
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    We look at it as a guaranteed access to WDW, but not as our only form of vacationing. It's a wonderful feature to have in our "arsenal" of vacation options.

We use it a lot for weekends (higher points, but you know? If you can't use it when you want to, what's the point).

Kids aren't really a factor for us. You do have loads of other non-Disney options remember.

The astronomical increase in point cost (since we purchased in '96) was a shocker though!

We must have just missed you! Nice gifties, huh? Did you have a light lunch too? Those chocolate cupcakes were amazing!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not get any snacks. I just wanted the low-down and happened to be in the first clump of people to be toured through the mock suites so, when we got to the snack area, I just got some water and the DVC tour guide hooked me up with a salesperson toot-sweet (or tout de suite, if you wanna be French...)

In all, DVC is AWESOME...if you have a family...I'm just not sure if I moved away within the next year or so, if I would end up getting my money out of it. Looking at my stack of resort folders, if I had bought into it maybe 5 yrs. ago, it may have paid for itself by now but I do not have the lump-sum so would probably have to finance (at the a**-r*pe 11.5% Disney interest rate). Plus, the perpetual maintenance fee which is subject to inflation...And as a FL homeowner, you know I'm already getting robbed by my HOA so that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. However, you know with Disney, you're getting GORGEOUS rooms and excellent service so...I'm just not sure. Plus the fact, it's a 50-year lease. I'll be 80....something (LOL!) and no one to leave it to. Will I really still be going to Disney when I'm 80-something with no grandkids? I don't know. I don't know if the Rose & Crown can handle another 50 years of my shenannigans! LOL!

It's a lot to think about....Have you used your points at non-Disney resorts? Or for a Disney cruise? I sooooo want to go on a Disney cruise!
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    No, we've not used our points for anything but WDW DVC so far. We talk about it, but never do! We did give away a year's points one time for a gift.

I think we are the only two people in history who did not like DCL so we won't be using our points for that.

We tend to use them for fun things, and predictable events like FWF, Christmas, family visits, hurricane evacuation (seriously)! LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwennie81, post: 257900
    Plus the fact, it's a 50-year lease. I'll be 80....something (LOL!) and no one to leave it to. Will I really still be going to Disney when I'm 80-something with no grandkids? I don't know. I don't know if the Rose & Crown can handle another 50 years of my shenannigans! LOL!

It's a lot to think about....Have you used your points at non-Disney resorts? Or for a Disney cruise? I sooooo want to go on a Disney cruise!
    Gwennie, both my Mom and my Sister are DVC members. They have used their points for DCL multiple times and have stayed at non Disney resorts with the exchange program. My Mom has done a Dude Ranch in Arizona with her points and she also got us a room in Chicago right off of Michigan Ave near Watertower Place and the Hancock Building (The Whitehall Hotel).There are so many options for point use other than just going to the parks.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]