Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dollars or travellers cheques?

Post Thanks / Like
    Which do you take to orlando and why?

Ive always just taken dollars and used cards but friends make good points about cheques being safer. I dont want ANY hassle though :/

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess a lot would depend on what sort of TCs you are talking about. I know that there are some that are being refused, although American Express is normally not one of them. You might be better off with a refillable debit card.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to take T/C`s however nowadays I don`t bother.
    I use a combination of cash for small purchases [drinks, ice creams etc. at the parks], and my cc for the majority of purchases.
    Fortunately I have a US bank account so I tend to use the cc from this bank along with drawing out a few $$`s from ATMs so I don`t have to worry about the exchange rate.
    Remember to carry some form of photo ID if you use T/C`s or your cc as this is sometimes asked for ....a photo driving licence will suffice rather than taking your passport.

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to take traveller cheques but not any more I use cash and credit card .I try to pay for as many thing online before I go

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    defo tc's and a small amount of cash. used to take all cash then found out about tc's for the 2nd trip, still got robbed in a villa of around $2000 of tc's and cash
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    we took all cash last year, i was quite worrid about having that much cash on dh though. i am looking at other alternitives for next year, there is a card that you can load up and use as a credit card although its supposed to be free when using in shops resturants but im not too sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Always travellers cheques, you can use them just like money anyway so i dont see the point of taking money! We had a photocopy of our passport with us, i did have to show it a couple of times aswell on our last trip

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chief, post: 258274
    we took all cash last year, i was quite worrid about having that much cash on dh though. i am looking at other alternitives for next year, there is a card that you can load up and use as a credit card although its supposed to be free when using in shops resturants but im not too sure
    the card your thinking of chief is called the fairfx card. you also get a higher rate than cash or tc's as well
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    also a tip from the sheriff when we got robbed is

carry all your money with you as you are less likely to get mugged than robbed
    Mick

Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    We take half cash and half travellers cheques. DH doesn't like the cheques but I don't like having all that cash on us. We've never had a problem with the cheques (I think they are the Amex ones).
    Not entirely convinced by those card things, it seems the are quite a few charges attached to them when either using them or loading them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast