Thread: Ear Hats Off to the Holidays at Disney Parks

Post Thanks / Like
    A new selection of Christmas decorations including new Disney ear hat ornaments will begin appearing in October.

[ATTACH]8937.vB[/ATTACH]

The Disney ear hat is an icon at Disney Parks (who remembers their first pair of Mouse Ears?)

Aaron Babcock, Associate Product Developer for Seasonal Merchandise, said the idea for the ear hat ornament program started differently.

“I originally wanted to feature all kinds of Disney hats as ornaments,” continued Aaron. “During creative reviews with the development team and leadership, we decided to focus on the ear hat only. The shape has such potential and we realized we could have a lot of fun with it.”

[ATTACH]8934.vB[/ATTACH]

Aaron understands the power of a blank canvas; he was instrumental in launching Vinylmation back in November 2008. He also said that some of the ear hats will be open edition (such as the wedding-themed hats). Other hats may be limited edition with an occasional hat sold exclusively via the Disney Parks on-line store.

With the focus narrowed, Aaron turned to Disney Design Group artists to create their magic. While some artwork was inspired by existing Disney ear hats, Aaron said a lot of it will be unique. I spoke with character artist Costa Alavezos, who has been creating artwork for seasonal merchandise for about 14 years! He said the trick to my favorite ornament, Dumbo, was finding icons to tell classic story on a three-inch ear hat.

[ATTACH]8936.vB[/ATTACH]

“I’ve drawn Dumbo for years,” explained Costa. “Besides his eyes, trunk and ears, I used his hat and the black feather which Dumbo holds while flying. Both items are iconic and help tell Dumbo’s story. I like how the sculpted elements turned out on the ornament. We are pushing design boundaries with each of the ear hat ornaments. I hope they will make someone smile this holiday season.”

[ATTACH]8935.vB[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.