Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can you help me with a cake?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sagging comes to us all eventually, i know how poor pooh wouldve felt!

My friend made the characters from a childrens book called the gruffalo for her dd's birthday cake, they were fantastic but they had to be made in August when it was really hot and she said they were an absolute nightmare! The fox wasnt too pretty by the time we got him home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 258940
    Sagging comes to us all eventually, i know how poor pooh wouldve felt!

My friend made the characters from a childrens book called the gruffalo for her dd's birthday cake, they were fantastic but they had to be made in August when it was really hot and she said they were an absolute nightmare! The fox wasnt too pretty by the time we got him home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellyamc, post: 258919
    Thank you Thank you for having such faith in me Honestly it is too late now to do the rest of the characters. With the heat and humidity the bees took forever to dry and so pooh might melt and sag before he gets to the party I had fun doing it, so I think I might practice making some characters in a non-cake making time period. I would also like to try making my own fondant so it isn't quite as expensive
    That's the way, practice when you have time I've got lots of instructions and pictures I could email to you :)

As for making your own fondant rather you than me I have tried a few times, but I just can't make it as well as the professional ice I use. I just stick to the ready made, when I made my own there wasn't that much difference in cost either.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 258952
    That's the way, practice when you have time I've got lots of instructions and pictures I could email to you :)

As for making your own fondant rather you than me I have tried a few times, but I just can't make it as well as the professional ice I use. I just stick to the ready made, when I made my own there wasn't that much difference in cost either.
    Wow - instructions would be great!!

Hmmm..maybe I should rethink making my own fondant. I really wouldn't cover a cake in it, so if I am just making small figures, I shouldn't need too much for each.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have a look for them and send them to you :D

Making fondant for the figures shouldn't be too bad possibly, you can always make characters out of marzipan (the white) It's not as easy to work with and you have to be careful of people with nut allergies, but it is a bit cheaper, even if you use it to practice with.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 258955
    I'll have a look for them and send them to you :D

Making fondant for the figures shouldn't be too bad possibly, you can always make characters out of marzipan (the white) It's not as easy to work with and you have to be careful of people with nut allergies, but it is a bit cheaper, even if you use it to practice with.
    I think the fondant would be cheaper..I think I would nibble on the marzipan while I worked..hehehe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123