Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: What a great start to the holidays...

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    2,629
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry Mairead, that would make me hopping mad too!

  2. #12
    Administrator Tink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    15 minutes (or so) North of WDW
    Posts
    27,940
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not much worse in this world, or more useless than a stinking thief. I sure hope you have luck getting the bikes back.






    Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Middle of England
    Posts
    783
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry to hear your news




  4. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    16,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry hon. That just makes you feel so violated












    I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

  5. #15
    Senior Member mumof2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    9,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    I reported it to the insurance company, the garage door will be repaired or replaced from what I understand. The bikes details have been sent to the claims dept to deal with.

    The only problem with them is that we have no proof of purchase as we've had them a while now, and no photos of them so nothing to say we actually owned them. Not sure what happens in that situation.

    What may help is that the police left a message on my answer machine today asking if we have any photos so they can make it a press opportunity as they are unusual. Although we don't have photos we have extremely good descriptions of them and many things particular to the bikes that make them different to others.

    Lee will speak to the officer who called when he's back at work tomorrow.

    Lessons learned....make my home and garden as secure as Fort Knox,, be wary of friends that into my home, take photographs of everything.




  6. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire U.K.
    Posts
    5,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 259299
    The only problem with them is that we have no proof of purchase as we've had them a while now, and no photos of them so nothing to say we actually owned them. Not sure what happens in that situation.
    For what it`s worth, we had a break in a few years ago when one of our sheds was ramsacked.
    I had loads of tools etc. on the shelves in the shed, many of which I hadn`t used for ages, and the only way that I could tell what had been taken was by inspecting the dust which showed the outline of what was there!
    My insurance company told me to obtain quotes for the replacement items, which I did.
    In all the total cost to renew the stolen items came to just under 1,000 and my insurance company sent me a cheque for the full amount without even inspecting my property.
    I realise that in your case the value will be considerably higher than my loss, but fingers crossed your insurance company will react similar to mine.





  7. #17
    Senior Member mumof2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    9,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 259356
    In all the total cost to renew the stolen items came to just under 1,000 and my insurance company sent me a cheque for the full amount without even inspecting my property.
    Thank you, that's interesting to hear. The value would be a little less than yours actually so you never know!

    The thing i worry about is that we took the insurance out with this new company on June 9th. We have never claimed on our household insurance in the past 20 odd years and on 16th June we had an accidental fire on the conservatory roof (teenagers - don't ask! ) for which we naturally made a claim which is still going through.

    Can you imagine how embarrassing to have to call them again! For that reason I'm worried they won't believe us.....




  8. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire U.K.
    Posts
    5,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 259371
    Thank you, that's interesting to hear. The value would be a little less than yours actually so you never know!
    I dunno if this is a fact but I was told that if the insurance claim was less than 1,000 then they would not bother to send out an assessor.

    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 259371
    The thing i worry about is that we took the insurance out with this new company on June 9th. We have never claimed on our household insurance in the past 20 odd years and on 16th June we had an accidental fire on the conservatory roof (teenagers - don't ask! ) for which we naturally made a claim which is still going through.

    Can you imagine how embarrassing to have to call them again! For that reason I'm worried they won't believe us.....
    I know just how you feel.
    I took out insurance against any drainage problems but I could not make a claim until 90 days after taking out the policy.
    Lo and behold 91 days after taking out the insurance I had a blocked drain and I didn`t have the guts to make a claim.
    That said, it`s what you pay for in the insurance premiums so I can`t see any reason why the insurance company should not cough up despite your ongoing other claim.





  9. #19
    Senior Member mumof2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    9,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 259413
    I know just how you feel.
    I took out insurance against any drainage problems but I could not make a claim until 90 days after taking out the policy.
    Lo and behold 91 days after taking out the insurance I had a blocked drain and I didn`t have the guts to make a claim.
    That said, it`s what you pay for in the insurance premiums so I can`t see any reason why the insurance company should not cough up despite your ongoing other claim.
    oops! 90 days is a very long time though

    True enough, we do pay for exactly what's happened, but you know more than a month apart would have been acceptable!




Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •