Thread: Bought an Airbook - shock

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdy everybody!

Long time away - hope everyone is well?

So I've bought an Airbook to see what all of the fuss is about

Umm - it's nice for browsing the web - but why do people rave about them?

How do you right click on this touchpad thingy?

I thought Mac was supposed to be the greatest for creative things - like home movies - so i plug in the memory card from my Sony video camera - fire up iMovie .... it can't read the files from my camera. Boo - my PC reads them fine.

Can you fill me in - what am I missing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you REAAALLLLLLY wanna know or is it just another wind up the poor Apple people because if you want some reasons why it appeals subjectively to an increasingly large number of people then I'm sure we'll be happy to help

Apple has always tried to stay away from NEEDING a right click on accessibility grounds however you can, as I do, set it up so that touching the trackpad with two fingers instead of one gives a right click. After using it for a while, I actually far prefer it to an actual right click button and miss it when I use a windows laptop.

The macbook air itself is a thing of beauty IMHO. Small, thin, nice fast SSD. It's pulling me away from my trusty 15" macbook pro which I've loved for years

Seriously though, macosx is just different from windows. Windows 7 is in itself the best Microsoft they've yet done so the gap is narrower than it's ever been. Some people will prefer Macosx some will prefer windows 7 and zealotism aside, both now do the same things really well
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Keith - thanks for replying

No wind up - I was enjoying a little light hearted leg pulling before - as Apple gets far too much it's own way - just my $0.02

The Macbook Air is indeed a thing of great beauty and seduced me - I was going to get an Ipad but I thought for some more money I could get a proper computer - so I did.

The start up is great - turn it on and it's there - although when you install some software - that slows quite a bit. I have a similar spec Wintel machine with SSD and Windows 7 which takes about 15 secs longer to boot.

I am struggling to see how it is massively better than Windows to be honest - I work with the nuts and bolts of these things day in day out - so I understand why the OS starts better etc

It just seems to be little quirks seperating the two.

The mousepad right click thing is in the System Prefs I guess.

Can you make the windows full screen each time they open?

Not knocking anybody - just curious

Post Thanks / Like
    OK - I've worked out the full screen thing - downloading Lion now!

Post Thanks / Like
    After a small adjustment period I fell in love with my iMac (which I bought in June). I'm still learning though. I need to become better with iPhoto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ieuanr, post: 259857
    No wind up - I was enjoying a little light hearted leg pulling before - as Apple gets far too much it's own way - just my $0.02
    No-one's paying us yah know? ;-) so we must see something in it!

The start up is great - turn it on and it's there - although when you install some software - that slows quite a bit. I have a similar spec Wintel machine with SSD and Windows 7 which takes about 15 secs longer to boot.
    See I must admit I've not noticed a tangible MACOSX slowdown when you install more apps although I definitely have on windows. Weird! And I'm yet to see a wintel machine that matches the air although not looked in the last few months.

I am struggling to see how it is massively better than Windows to be honest - I work with the nuts and bolts of these things day in day out - so I understand why the OS starts better etc
    perception and personal choice I suppose. I'm a macosx whinger, I moan about little things but overall, I see it as the better system nowadays. However, windows 7 is great and I now see the choice as between a bmw and a merc. They're both great but some like one over the other.

Ill leave others to say what they like then I'll maybe kick in a few likes and dislikes too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! You bought an Air?

We just got one too. You are going to love it once you learn the ins and outs. It's a beautiful machine.

It takes some adjusting (and we are already Mac-ites)

It took asking the clerk to figure out how to scroll...

Once you start though, things get easy and fast, fast, fast.

It's so good to see you again. (Now, how about practicing posting some photos of your girls)?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tink & Keith

It's a lovely machine - I just cannot see why people say 'Wow - they are so much better than a PC'

I've put Photoshop Elements on and Office and it has certainly impacted the boot time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ieuanr, post: 259943
    Thanks Tink & Keith

It's a lovely machine - I just cannot see why people say 'Wow - they are so much better than a PC'

I've put Photoshop Elements on and Office and it has certainly impacted the boot time.
    I logically can't imagine why some files in the applications directory would impact the boot time unless it's added stuff to the autorun bit. but I have a new macbook air sitting here (not mine sadly) that Im setting up so I'll try it.

Sure you can see why some people say that ;-) same way some people say OMG I'd NEVER have another BMW after this Mercedes its SOOOOO much better. Personal preferences mainly

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you mean Keith - I was just hoping maybe I had missed something.

The new gestures work well in Lion though.

The slowdown is probably due to all the gizmos that Office loads at startup