Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Floridian Spa to close on 19 September for 18 months

Post Thanks / Like
    Walt Disney World is closing the spa at its most-expensive resort for 18 months as the company embarks on an expansion project at the hotel.

The spa the Grand Floridian hotel one of only two full-service spas in Disney World will shut down Sept. 19.

"We are in the early stages of an expansion project at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa," Disney spokesman Bryan Malenius said Friday. The spa will "temporarily close this fall as part of a planned renovation."

The Grand Floridian is considered one of the top spots to stay on Disney property. With nearly 900 rooms, the Victorian-themed hotel has standard room rates that begin at $440 a night.

Disney would not share details about the expansion project Friday, but there has been speculation the building to be constructed next to the spa will contain units to be sold by Disney Vacation Club, the company's time-share operation.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    its closing for a very long time

Post Thanks / Like
    Goodness, that is a long time to close. Must be going to be one special refurbishment for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    The rumour is that a new DVC is being built at the Grand Floridian, so I'm guessing it's all connected :)

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's an extremely long closure. My guess with the "rumored" addition of a DVC wing/building they are going to tear down the current Spa and rebuild a larger facility with completely updated services.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to find out some info.....the rumored DVC addition is going to be a T-shaped building built between the Grand Floridian and the Wedding Pavillon. The new spa is going to be on the ground floor of this new building along the shoreline of the Seven Seas Lagoon. The old spa is going to be torn down.

The new building is going to be angled as such that most DVC rooms are going to have a view of Cinderella's Castle.

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    [YOUTUBE]UvsvlTMs0Uo[/YOUTUBE]

Upcoming Vacations:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak, post: 259960
    I was able to find out some info.....the rumored DVC addition is going to be a T-shaped building built between the Grand Floridian and the Wedding Pavillon. The new spa is going to be on the ground floor of this new building along the shoreline of the Seven Seas Lagoon. The old spa is going to be torn down.

The new building is going to be angled as such that most DVC rooms are going to have a view of Cinderella's Castle.
    Yep, that confirms what I was told when we were there a few weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    BLT, even with a castle view has never appealed to me. GFV with a castle view on the other hand ... Bet they won't be easy to get at 7 months!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how much that'll be a point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast