Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you drive in Orlando?

Post Thanks / Like
    When we went before we used Disney buses and taxis, as there are the three of us, my husband said he was thinking about driving. I'm not sure if it will be safe for him to drive on the opposite side of the road as he's never done it before.

Is it very difficult or confusing driving over there?

Post Thanks / Like
    I always drive over there. It's very easy, and everything is well signposted. There's a large proportion of tourists driving around there at any time remember and they all manage. I've never got lost (except that time I ended up in the drive through bank opposite Downtown Disney) and never had any issues with other drivers. Also having a young child means that if we need to exit the park RIGHT NOW, we don't have to wait for a bus and can just be in the car and off when we want to.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always drive I'm Florida and love it, the roads are so big and easy to understand, I hate coming home to busy rushed English roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find driving over there a lot more relaxing than here in the UK and as we spend a lot of time in Florida in general [apart from WDW], then a car is a must to us.

We have a member on this site who has visited WDW loads of times and yet this year was the first time that he decided to take the plunge and hire a car.
    Although very anxious about the whole thing at first, I would be very surprised if he didn`t hire a car on all his visits from now on as it gave him and his wife so much more freedom and allowed him to save a fortune on taxis.

Post Thanks / Like
    We always have a car, my DH thinks his legs have been cut off if he doesn't have a car

I have only just started to drive the last few visits, but then I don't have much confidence, but I did actually find it quite easy. Not sure I would like to be on the I4 at rush hour though

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    dh said it was very easy to drive and we are definatly hiring a car next year. with 2 children it was a lot easier than relying on other transport

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 261469
    We have a member on this site who has visited WDW loads of times and yet this year was the first time that he decided to take the plunge and hire a car.
    Although very anxious about the whole thing at first, I would be very surprised if he didn`t hire a car on all his visits from now on as it gave him and his wife so much more freedom and allowed him to save a fortune on taxis.
    This could well be me

I was very against hiring a car. I really felt we'd worry about it, we'd be stressed driving in unknown territory and so on.

After all my great friends on here reassured me, we cautiously booked one in May and yep, we will hire one for all our future visits. It's not even a "maybe" it's a definitely positive YES.

Driving over there was very easy, much less stressful than the M6 over here which we navigate each day at rush hour. Parking spots are large enough for a tank

Financially, well lets just say this. We went to many many more places than we normally did using taxies, and at the end of the holiday we actually came back with dollars spare! That's NEVER happened before

I'm beyond grateful to everyone here who took the time to patiently reassure me again and again and feel more than a little silly for being such a worrier and missing out on the freedom for so many holidays.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    i always drive in orlando, i fing it easier, more relaxing and only took about 10mins to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road.

if your hubs does drive make sure he familiarises himself with the laws as there are a few different laws than over here
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    We never drive over there! we've been 4 times now and have never hired a car, we dont want to go anywhere that an i-ride or bus can get us too, and we never need to get a taxi either! I cant imagine hiring a car and tbh i dont really want too, i drive enough here and quite like a holiday where i dont have to get behind the wheel!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 261528
    We never drive over there! we've been 4 times now and have never hired a car, we dont want to go anywhere that an i-ride or bus can get us too, and we never need to get a taxi either! I cant imagine hiring a car and tbh i dont really want too, i drive enough here and quite like a holiday where i dont have to get behind the wheel!
    Kate, that's exactly what Keith used to say until he rented a car earlier this year and now he is converted

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast