Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irene is about to arrive

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless Nags Head and the Outer Banks takes the brunt of this storm, it looks like it will go hard right over NYC.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    MIAMI -- Evacuations orders widened Thursday to include parts of Maryland, New Jersey, Virginia and more North Carolina counties after the forecast for Hurricane Irene took a turn for the worse, with the massive storm now expected to track farther inland and dump up to 15 inches of rain.

Widespread power outages are likely, and damage from storm surges, fallen trees and flooding could end up in the billions of dollars.
    Irene's projected track was shifted a bit west, putting millions more people within the forecast "cone" issued by the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

New York City, Long Island, Atlantic City and Virginia Beach were among the areas now near the center of Irene's forecast path, along with even more areas of North Carolina, where Irene is expected to make a first landfall on Saturday near Ocracoke Island.
    The entire North Carolina coast was placed under a hurricane warning Thursday afternoon.

After hitting North Carolina, Irene is likely to weaken to a Category 2 as it moves Sunday into the Delaware, Maryland and Virginia coastal region and then on to New York. A Category 2 storm carries winds of 96 to 110 mph.
    "Any further deviation left could bring direct impacts as far inland as the Washington-Baltimore area," National Hurricane Center Director Bill Read said.
    The forecast track, updated by the hurricane center at 11 a.m. ET, shows the "cone" now covering areas where 55 million people live.
    "We're going to have storm surge issues all the way up the coast," Read said. "We're going to have flash flooding" as well, since the soil is still saturated from recent rain. And given Irene's winds and the saturated soil "we should see a lot of trees down, with the power outages that go with that."

States of emergency have been issued in North Carolina, Virginia, New York, Maryland and New Jersey as a way to marshal resources ahead of time.
    Irene's winds weakened to 115 mph from 125 mph overnight, but it remains a powerful hurricane. At 5 p.m. ET Thursday, hurricane-force winds extend 80 miles out from its center, while tropical-storm force winds extend 290 miles.
    The hurricane center said Irene could still strengthen to 120 mph or so before starting to gradually weaken.
    Below's a look at Irene's most recent impacts, as well as preparations:
    Bahamas. Irene on Thursday was tearing through more Bahamian islands. Initial reports include the destruction of a settlement known as Lovely Bay on Acklins Island. At least 40 homes were badly damaged on the island of Mayaguana, the government said.
    Video: Trees and reporter rocked by Irene winds (on this page)
    Trees were knocked down and streets flooded throughout the archipelago but there were no reports of deaths or injuries.
    Thursday afternoon, Irene was well north of Nassau, the capital of the Bahamas, and leaving the Abaco Island area.

North Carolina. An evacuation order took effect for an estimated 150,000 tourists in coastal Dare County hours after forecasters issued a hurricane watch for much of the state's coast.
    Story: Are you in Irene's path? Share photos, if it's safe to do so
    Dare County's residents were told Thursday that they would have to evacuate by Friday as well.

"It wouldn't behoove anyone to stay in these circumstances," Dare County emergency management spokeswoman Sharon Sullivan said. "Businesses are boarding up. Nobody can guarantee their safety."
    Carteret, Currituck and Hyde counties on Thursday also told tourists to move inland. Hyde extended that to its residents as well.

Irene could hit North Carolina's Outer Banks on Saturday afternoon with winds around 115 mph.
    The Outer Banks have a long history of hurricanes, and building codes and emergency plans reflect that. Structures in the region are designed to withstand up to 110 mph sustained winds and gusts of up to 130 mph for three minutes. Evacuation routes are meticulously planned, down to the order in which counties hit the road.

Ocracoke Island, a tiny Outer Banks community, has already ordered visitors off, but it has special challenges since it's only accessible to the mainland by boat.
    Some of the region's most popular destinations rely on the ailing Bonner Bridge, which was built in 1963 and intended to last 30 years, to connect Hatteras Island to the northern Outer Banks. There's no other way to reach Hatteras except by boat.

The bridge handles about 2 million cars a year and the state DOT ranks it a 2 on its safety meter, with 100 being the highest, or most safe, designation.
    How airlines are responding to Irene
    "We're going to shift people and resources around to do what we need to do and keep the roads open," said North Carolina Department of Transportation spokeswoman Nicole Meister. The 2.7-mile bridge won't stay open if it's deemed unsafe which happened during Hurricane Earl last year but the state has an emergency ferry terminal ready in that case to get people off the island, Meister said.

Virginia. A mandatory evacuation was ordered Thursday for the beach community
    of Chincoteague.

The Navy ordered the Second Fleet in southeastern Virginia, including at Norfolk Naval Station, to leave so ships would be safe from the approaching hurricane. Thursday's order applied to 64 ships in the area, some of which were already at sea.
    The Navy said ships at sea can better weather storms. The move will also help protect piers from being damaged.

Cities along the state's coast were reviewing their evacuation plans.

New York City. Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Thursday ordered that hospitals and nursing homes in low-lying areas would have to evacuate by Friday unless they get an exemption from the city.
    He added that he expected to make a decision by Saturday morning whether residents in the city's so-called "Zone-A" would need to evacuate as well.
    That zone includes neighborhoods along the coast, including Battery Park City in Manhattan, Coney Island in Brooklyn and Far Rockaway in Queens. The city also placed information about evacuation possibilities online.
    Crews are working to clean out catch basins to help with street drainage. The city has also moved police boats to station houses in low-lying areas, hired emergency forest contractors and topped off emergency generators with fuel.
    Officials are also looking at how to secure 26 tower cranes across the city that are only rated to withstand winds up to 65 mph, WNBC-TV reported.
    Story: NYC, Long Island vulnerability exposed by Irene
    The city's subway stations and tunnels would likely be flooded in places, and officials plan to shut the system down ahead of time to reduce damage to the infrastructure.
    The city's agencies were preparing for a Category 1 hurricane with winds surpassing 74 mph and waters surging dangerously in low-lying areas, said Office of Emergency Management Commissioner Joseph Bruno.
    With five hospitals and nursing homes in the area, officials were readying to possibly evacuate the most frail and needy.
    Video: How to prepare for Hurricane Irene (on this page)
    Long Island, N.Y. Nassau County officials said they would evacuate barrier islands if Irene's track does not change. School buses were moved to higher ground in case they're needed to evacuate residents.
    Maryland. The 125,000 or so visitors and residents in Ocean City were told Thursday to evacuate due to the high chance of flooding.

Washington, D.C. The dedication of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial was still on for Sunday but that could change, officials said Thursday. The nation's capital could see 3-6 inches of rain, significant flooding and winds up to 60 mph.
    Electric power provider Pepco Inc said it had requested 600 emergency workers from other regions, and had already deployed 150 of them, to prepare for Irene's heavy rain and high winds that "could cause widespread and extended power outages.

"The subsequent restoration could be a multiday event," the utility warned customers on its website, urging them to ensure adequate supplies of prescription medicines and infant supplies.
    Railway operator Amtrak canceled trains operating south of Washington for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. "Additional cancellations may be necessary in the coming days as the major storm moves north," the railway said in an alert on its website.

New Jersey. Evacuations were ordered Thursday in Cape May County, which has about 100,000 year-round residents and hundreds of thousands of seasonal visitors to its many beach resorts.
    Gov. Chris Christie earlier told people planning to visit the shore this weekend to stay home.
    Forecasters say Irene is likely to cause flooding across the already rain-soaked state. Winds also could take down power lines.

The Garden State has gotten twice as much rain this month as in a normal August, and high tide happens at 8 a.m. ET on Sunday, when Irene might be passing by, noted New Jersey state climatologist David Robinson.
    "You want to go into a hurricane threat with dry soil, low rivers, a half moon," he added.

Massachusetts. Roads and bridges are likely to bear the weather in good condition, said Peter Judge, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency. But the agency is planning for flooding and is keeping an eye on the 3,000 public and private dams throughout the state.
    Hurricanes are rare in the Northeast because the region's cooler seas tend to weaken storms as they approach, and they have to take a narrow track to strike New York without first hitting other parts of the coast and weakening there.
    Still, strong storms have been known to unleash serious damage in an urban environment already surrounded by water.

A September 1821 hurricane raised tides by 13 feet in an hour and flooded all of Manhattan south of Canal Street an area that now includes the nation's financial capital. An infamous 1938 storm dubbed the Long Island Express came ashore about 75 miles east of the city and then hit New England, killing 700 people and leaving 63,000 homeless.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    :( It's not looking good is it stay safe everyone

Butterhead, it must be worrying being away from home

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Be safe everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay safe, dear friends.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in No. VA. we have been downgraded, at least for right now, to a Tropical Storm Warning.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 261707
    Here in No. VA. we have been downgraded, at least for right now, to a Tropical Storm Warning.
    This is a good thing.

Tom (... could use some rain here!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 261707
    it stays that way

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone! It has been an awfully long time since I have been here. Much of it had to do with changing jobs while the museum was refurbished (have to go in some detail later), part due to the funk I felt after my Mom's passing, completion of my masters degree and lots of stuff with my family.

I have missed you all. I am hearing a message right now to leave the museum, we are closing for the storm.

Irene isn't really downgraded here in Portsmouth, still expecting hurricane force winds. I am leaving work soon to prepare my house. I am glad the current predicted path takes it some miles of Virginia Beach but we still are expecting a bad one.

Keep you posted.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 261712
    Hi everyone! It has been an awfully long time since I have been here. Much of it had to do with changing jobs while the museum was refurbished (have to go in some detail later), part due to the funk I felt after my Mom's passing, completion of my masters degree and lots of stuff with my family.

I have missed you all. I am hearing a message right now to leave the museum, we are closing for the storm.

Irene isn't really downgraded here in Portsmouth, still expecting hurricane force winds. I am leaving work soon to prepare my house. I am glad the current predicted path takes it some miles of Virginia Beach but we still are expecting a bad one.

Keep you posted.

Dan
    Hello Dan and welcome back. Stay safe down there.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast