Thread: Has anyone got a NHS Summary Care Record

Post Thanks / Like
    The post has just come and there was a letter for me from the NHS telling me about a Summary Care Record that will be created unless I opt out of it

It says that all information will be confidential, and yet they send a letter addressed to me with my full name including my middle one on the envelope

I'm not sure whether to opt out though it all seems a bit "big brother" to me added to the fact that on numerous occasions I have had other people's records when I have been in hospital, I find it all a bit worrying. I know I'm fairly alone with this, but I'm sad to say I have no faith in the NHS at all for various reasons

What do you think Is this countrywide or just something the local NHS is doing here.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a hard call really.

On the one hand, every logical atom in my body screams that it's an incredibly sensible idea to have not just a summary, but a full and complete medical history online at all times. I mean if someone has an emergency, surely we'd want the healthcare professionals to have instant access to see everything about us that would help in the treatment? It just makes sense to me.

The problems :/ well privacy for sure. The NHS hasn't got the best record in this regard as you say and no matter all the safeguards that people claim, there will be people who can get our records and be willing to sell them to insurance companies or whoever else would offer a few quid. It's no different from paper record access but just a bit more convenient.

Add to that the fact that the NHS is disgustingly bad at IT. This isn't the doctors, nurses etc. fault! The folks at the sharp end of things desperately want good systems, but they're consistently provided with utter rubbish for billions of pounds, paid for by us. My faith in NHS IT systems being able to consistently make the summary available to the right people and ONLY the right people? next to zero.

So what to do?

Well for me, I'd do it. I'd gamble that having the information more easily retrievable, in theory, may save my life one day which outweighs the potential for people I don't want to have access, getting access.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Keith I can always count on you for a pros and cons answer

So this is nationwide then, not just down here I think I might have a bit more confidence if it was nationwide. I was surprised that the information says that you can register to see your own record online as well - now that is a bit worrying.

It sounds like the information is coming from the doctor's surgery. There are two of us in at my surgery with exactly the same name (middle as well) the only difference is she is 25 years older than me. The amount of times I have been given her repeat prescription or on one occasion I went in for a blood test and the paperwork was for her not me Chris saw the senior partner abut that one.

I'll have to think about this one

You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 261758
    So this is nationwide then, not just down here I think I might have a bit more confidence if it was nationwide.
    It's nationwide, implemented area by area

I was surprised that the information says that you can register to see your own record online as well - now that is a bit worrying.
    Why's that worrying you? It's really just so you can check what they hold about you in the same way you can apply under the data protection act to anyone and for a small charge demand to see everything they hold. I wouldn't let it worry you AS LONG AS the safeguards are there (big question mark there I agree)

It sounds like the information is coming from the doctor's surgery. There are two of us in at my surgery with exactly the same name (middle as well) the only difference is she is 25 years older than me. The amount of times I have been given her repeat prescription or on one occasion I went in for a blood test and the paperwork was for her not me Chris saw the senior partner abut that one.
    We've seen similar. The problem is so easy to see, if you go just on name, you're going to end up with the wrong person when there's more than one person with the same name but they always seem so ASTONISHED that it's happened. Combining address with name helps a bit but even then you stand a reasonable chance of having someone with the same name at the same address. Date of birth helps a bit more till you get twins so really what's needed is a fully unique identifier like a patient number/national insurance number... but then how many people will know that when asked :(

I'll have to think about this one
    We all have to think seriously about issues like this one. This decade has all been about putting everything online and heck many of us are willingly putting every detail of our lives on facebook/twitter whilst tesco knows everything about what we buy, where, when. Add all these databases together and the depth of knowledge is staggering and in my opinion deeply worrying from a privacy standpoint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 261759
    It's nationwide, implemented area by area
    OK, well that makes me feel a bit better.

..............national insurance number... but then how many people will know that when asked :(

I do :D

I'm over thinking again aren't I

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 261760
    I do :D
    me too but I think it's a generational thing, I was told I HAD to remember it and I'd be in a right mess if I didnt

Post Thanks / Like
    There has been talk of this for few years now and I welcome it. We are often out of county and I would hope any of Beth's consultants could access it to stop the to and throwing. This hopefully would speed things up without wait weeks for the to get hold of reports and information. Beth is currently under a new wheelchair service who know nothing about her and whilst I can say she has lower curvature I can not tell them all the technical details but with this they could hopefully look it up.