Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I found my thrill....On blueberry hill....

Post Thanks / Like
    I used my large oval one... Not sure about the capacity.
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 25828

If you make a savoury sauce out of wine, butter, shallot, some sort of hot pepper, blueberries go very nice in it. It's nice with pork. A different take on using berries, eh? Works well with cherries (only use sherry instead) and also with raspberries (they pair nicely with chipotles).
    Now *this* sounds interesting...Jon was just saying tonight he wished we could think of something to make with them that wasn't "desserty" and he LOVES pork...I think I'll surprise him with this one tomorrow...

I made the buckle...it was FANTASTIC!!!! Even the MIL enjoyed it....and had to say so as she had two helpings!

My uncle sent me a recipe for a sugar free tart (using Splenda) with raspberries, blueberries, blackberries....I may give that a try as well...

Blueberry Conserve...must look that one up...I've had it before....and LOVED it....do you think I could freeze it?

Krista, that sounds WONDERFUL!! Will give that a try on Friday as we're having dinner guests....

Thank you all!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mmmm, I LOVES blueberries.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Well then...wanna come to dinner on Friday?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beccaberry, post: 25837
    Krista, that sounds WONDERFUL!! Will give that a try on Friday as we're having dinner guests....

Thank you all!!!
    What time should we be there?
    Krista

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] But there's this one particular harbor..sheltered from the wind...where the children play on the shore each day and all are safe within...

Post Thanks / Like
    You can preserve conserve. I'd imagine you could freeze it too, but I've only ever had it preserved in jars. :D

If I were home I could give you the exact recipe, but it's essentially a savory sauce (just make it up! : ) that you add some heat to, and then the berries/fruit. The capsaicin in the peppers does really nice things to the berries. :D

I don't eat venison, but the blueberry one would be good with that too. It would work with chicken or duck, also.

wine/sherry (dry) used to deglaze a saucier that has sauteed shallots in butter, oh and a touch of garlic (is there anything savory without garlic? :D ) add some thyme, lemon thyme would be perfect with blueberries, and a bit of parsley... let it simmer a bit. Add the pepper of choice and the blueberries. Simmer until the heat distributes and the berries are hot through, but I'd say stop before they are all popped open.

It will be a thinnish sauce, but that's my favorite kind, not all mucked up with flour.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love blueberries - but they are hard to get and very expensive here! :(

I think they are more available in the southern states - cooler climate!
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)

Post Thanks / Like
    For some reason, they are stupid expensive in the stores here too. When we picked, they were under $2 a pound. In the stores, they are about $3 a PINT! Much cheaper to pick your own..
    Krista

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvthemouse, post: 25841
    What time should we be there?
    Earlier than you were last time No stopping to view the Great Wall of Connect I Cut :D

You can preserve conserve. I'd imagine you could freeze it too, but I've only ever had it preserved in jars.

If I were home I could give you the exact recipe, but it's essentially a savory sauce (just make it up! : ) that you add some heat to, and then the berries/fruit. The capsaicin in the peppers does really nice things to the berries.

I don't eat venison, but the blueberry one would be good with that too. It would work with chicken or duck, also.

wine/sherry (dry) used to deglaze a saucier that has sauteed shallots in butter, oh and a touch of garlic (is there anything savory without garlic? ) add some thyme, lemon thyme would be perfect with blueberries, and a bit of parsley... let it simmer a bit. Add the pepper of choice and the blueberries. Simmer until the heat distributes and the berries are hot through, but I'd say stop before they are all popped open.

It will be a thinnish sauce, but that's my favorite kind, not all mucked up with flour
    Preserving it sounds like a far better idea. I shall try that. I will let you know how the pork turns out...it's making my mouth water already!!! Jon is sat here beside me watching tv, and it's all I can do to not tell him about it, it sounds so yummy!

Jon defo prefers thinner sauces as do I....I want the sauce to *compliment* the meat, not mask it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad the buckle went over well! We had leftovers again tonight for dessert...warmed it in the microwave and then served with vanilla ice cream.

Tink's savory suggestion sent me looking...I can't vouch for these personally, but the allrecipes site has lots of user reviews you can check out.

Rosemary Chicken with Blueberry Sauce

Grilled Salmon Steaks with Savory Blueberry Sauce

Chicken Berry Salad

All three sound rather tasty.

And Tink...of course great minds like ours think alike.

"Always take a banana to a party." :banana1:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast