Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do we handle bad service in WDW restaurants please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb, post: 262552
    I have almost had the impression up to now that it is The Law (not quite, but in all but name :tongue: ) to stick to the 18 - 20% rule in WDW or you may well be accosted and asked to explain your actions
    I've said it to friends in the past 18-20 because they've asked things like "what should we leave to not have to worry about it". The superficial yet accurate answer is to tell them 18-20 because I know that no-one is going to follow them out and yell at them but for those of us who go quite often, it's not really good enough to feel like we're being virtually mugged every time we dine! So I think we need a more detailed sense of what is the right thing to do.

I am of the persuasion where I leave a mega tip for service that is out of the ordinary, but can leave zero if the service has been impossibly atrocious. Of course normally it's somewhere in-between, I just don't like feeling I have to compulsorily add 18% onto the price as if it is a tax.
    Absolutely! thats what bugs me hugely with certain town car companies ;-), restaurants who add on the %, and servers who add it without asking or even tell me how much it WOULD be and circle it a few times on the receipt. All very insulting IMHO.

I would and have left 0 as a tip in the states but I do it less often than I do in the UK because I think in the UK, really top end restaurants aside, ANY tip is seen as very optional. In the US I think 10% is probably saying "you were really useless" and 0% is a slap in the face and saying actually you were rude, obnoxious and a waste of air

So, I'm fine with 0, I believe it's a useful tool in the tipping kitbag, but its meaning is more severe stateside.

The buffets - it is good to know that we don't have to leave the 18% if we don't like, even for good service. Somewhere like Chef Mickey's is so expensive anyway, and when all is said and done all a good server is doing is bringing me my drinks and taking away dirty plates, with a smile on their face.
    you definitely don't need to leave 18% we don't and have never had a problem. Frankly 10% is when they've been attentive with drinks the rest of the time it's a few dollars I happen to have left on the table.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb, post: 262552
    I have almost had the impression up to now that it is The Law (not quite, but in all but name :tongue: ) to stick to the 18 - 20% rule in WDW or you may well be accosted and asked to explain your actions I wonder where I got that idea from over the years?
    Possibly from me.

At the Garden Grill we were a party of 8 and were told eleventy billion times that an 18% gratuity would automatically be added so we just assumed our server had added it and paid what the big number was on the bottom of the bill. A few minutes after he'd chased us out of the restaurant and practically thrown our change at us we realised he hadn't added the tip on.

Anyway I tip 18-20 for table service and probably 10-15 on buffet depending on how much the server has done for us. If there is a problem now I would go to the podium and ask for a manager there to come to our table.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your server goes missing or completely ignores you, it is perfectly OK to tell anyone who is working there to please send a manager over. If you cannot find anyone to do that with, then I would go to the host stand and tell them to get a manager.

WDW likes to make you think that you HAVE to tip. However, you do NOT have to tip if your service is dreadful. I WOULD make sure you speak with a manager first and foremost to let them know this is what you are doing and what happened.

I used to think that buffet servers deserved less since they did less but after watching them in action, I think they might actually do more work than the regular server.

Deb, I know it can be very difficult to complain about someone but you are paying for a service. The server is supposed to be working and taking care of you along with everyone else they are serving. If someone is unable to do that, it is not your fault. They could have too many tables assigned to them or a particularly difficult group, etc.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 262556
    If your server goes missing or completely ignores you, it is perfectly OK to tell anyone who is working there to please send a manager over. If you cannot find anyone to do that with, then I would go to the host stand and tell them to get a manager.

WDW likes to make you think that you HAVE to tip. However, you do NOT have to tip if your service is dreadful. I WOULD make sure you speak with a manager first and foremost to let them know this is what you are doing and what happened.

I used to think that buffet servers deserved less since they did less but after watching them in action, I think they might actually do more work than the regular server.

Deb, I know it can be very difficult to complain about someone but you are paying for a service. The server is supposed to be working and taking care of you along with everyone else they are serving. If someone is unable to do that, it is not your fault. They could have too many tables assigned to them or a particularly difficult group, etc.

Well said Johnie!! I believe some servers are under the impression that they are entitled to their tips instead of having to EARN their tips.

I, however, do generally tip less at buffets. Based on the service I receive, I will give 10-15% compared to my usual 15-20%.

Also, don't feel obligated to automatically give the 18% tip Disney adds to the checks of parties of six or larger. You can talk to a manager to have it reduced if you feel the server didn't perform up to standards.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    some very interesting views. i have enjoyed reading them. a lot of my friends have been discussing tipping as there are quite a few of us going ,at different times, next year.
    i definately will have to increase my tips next year lol
    i went to jimmy spices with dh and 2 ds in the school holidays and the bill included their tip, i was furious, they only brought us 1 round of drinks and cleared plates away, that i stacked all nice! dh just told me to leave it cos he was paying but i wanted to say 'remove this from my bill and i will tipp what i want to / can afford.
    this is what i dont agree with 'being told what you should tip' i think whatever servers get as atip they should just e thankful, times are hard lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that times are hard. It is very hard on servers too. Many restaurants here are offering really good meal deals to get people in the restaurants. The server is probably get a lesser tip from most people due to that. Yet they are working as hard as before.

My daughter works as a hair stylist. She gets tips. I have learned A LOT since she started.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an aggrivating experience at AS Sports last month. I complained. Nothing happened.
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwennie81, post: 262591
    I had an aggrivating experience at AS Sports last month. I complained. Nothing happened.
    That's the annoying thing for sure :/ Frankly I don't want to have to complain but if I take the time to do it, I want something more than the usual Disney "I'm sorry you FEEL that way".

We had a really disturbing experience at the liberty tree tavern. A server staggered over to our table and grabbed onto it like she was going to fall over at any moment and managed to spit out the word "drinks?". I asked if she was ok, she nodded and staggered off.

The table next to us said we're really worried, the kids are scared and we don't know if she's in some way disabled or ill or hung over or what. Perhaps in the cold light of day it seems like we should have been able to tell which, but I agreed with them, she was extremely unsteady, very untidy looking and very undisney.

She managed to get our drinks on the table but when she staggered to the next table, she dropped the tray of drinks all over everyone. Anyway, by now everyone's getting kinda concerned and there was a discussion between all the tables as to how we shouldnt order any hot drinks.

A few of us went to see the manager without making a fuss because again it did look like she may have had a disability but all we knew was she wasn't safe to be serving.

The manager said what? who? oh yeah she shouldnt have come in today really should she, laughed and said we'll sort you out some new drinks. We said no look it's really not about the drinks, we're all holding our breath whenever she walks up the steps and across the room in case she falls. To which the manager said I've already said she's just a little tired.

We went back to the tables feeling stupid for having bothered to complain. A few minutes later the server tried to walk upstairs with a tray full of food and drink and fell on the stairs and just lay there. Kids were screaming, everyone was trying to help her up but she just wasn't having any of it and just lay there.

After that we just paid up and went to leave. I saw the manager on the way out and asked pretty pointedly was the server ok and she snapped "Ive already told you she's fine" and walked off muttering to herself.

I took the time out to relate the episode to Disney guest services but didn't hear anything back and I think they thought I was a bit mad and making it up

Same thing happened when we were on a Disney bus to Downtown Disney when the driver kept falling asleep!!! we kept seeing his head droop to the left and the bus would start veering across the road. A few of us had to take turns sitting right by him and waking him up! Again complaining did nothing other than earn us "dont be stupid that didnt happen" looks and no response.

So yeah, I agree, Disney need to get better at handling complaints
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Well those are both quite disturbing episodes Keith!! WOW! On both cases I think I would have gone over the heads of the manager and guest services since in both cases guests were at risk. If Disney still wouldn't have done anything I might have gone to the press (since there were multiple witnesses).....that might have got their attention.

Seems like Disney's cut backs are really starting to effect Cast Members.....less of them and too many hours for those still there.

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    that is not good at all keith, i wouldnt have liked that at all do they have health and safety over there

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast