Thread: what extremes in the name of disney?

Post Thanks / Like
    recently I read a story (on another site) about a family who went to wdw 3 years running who are now officially bankrupt due to card debt had there home repossessed and are now living on benefits , generally if I can not afford to go straight away to wdw I will save up and have to bear with the long countdown syndrome,I was wondering what extremes do you all go to to get the wdw holiday?
    charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    wow.. thats certainly an extreme

I dont think we go to extremes at all.... we plan, save and do use credit sometimes, but never more than what we can pay before the year is over... thats the rule.. if we go in say 2012 and need to use credit, we have to be able to pay for it by the end of that same year

Post Thanks / Like
    None..no extremes at all. I mean we may give up some small trips to local amusement parks or maybe a weekend away to have more spending money for Disney, but that is as far as we go. We love Disney and would love to spend every moment there, but when you boil it all down it is a vacation, and not worth loosing everything over

Post Thanks / Like
    No extremes, I set aside the amount I will need into a savings account when I book the holiday.

Post Thanks / Like
    i am with shelly and the others, no extremes at all.
    we book 18 months in advance both this time and when we went last year. saved hard, only missing out on the unnecesary takeaway, day trip etc.
    only use credit card to upgrade car hire when we get there. then when we get home only memories and save for next one.
    we have had a florida fund for years now [about 8] but always dipped in for this and that, but when we plucked up the courage to finally book [cos it it a huge amount] we just save and no dipping in.
    i think its wrong to lose everything just for a holiday.

Post Thanks / Like
    I could never do that, I'd be a bag of nerves if I owed money. We save, hubby does overtime and when we've got enough we book the holiday.

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have gone to Disney 17 times and always stay at least a week. There have been times when the money could have better spent but it was what we wanted to do so we did it. I have never and would never pay for a vacation using a credit card. The interest rate would make an expensive trip even more expensive. I have tapped into savings to pay for trips and will continue to do so.
    As for the original post I believe that there must be more to the story, the family involved had financial issues and lost their home for other reasons than just 3 Disney trips.

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BUTTERHEAD1, post: 262691
    We have gone to Disney 17 times and always stay at least a week. There have been times when the money could have better spent but it was what we wanted to do so we did it. I have never and would never pay for a vacation using a credit card. The interest rate would make an expensive trip even more expensive. I have tapped into savings to pay for trips and will continue to do so.
    As for the original post I believe that there must be more to the story, the family involved had financial issues and lost their home for other reasons than just 3 Disney trips.
    both parents where in fulltime good paid jobs, the wife wanted to take the kids would only stay onsite and wanted to go for 2 weeks, did not want to fly economy either. coming from england means they had expensive flights , staying onsite was not cheap and they did this 3 years running costing around 6000 in total each visit. so over 3 years they managed to use credit cards and loans to spend 18000 which they where then unable to pay back. I just think its so sad that a obsession directly led to them having a lower standard of living now
    charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    wow only 6 grand to stay onsite and fly first class. it must have been a while ago
    me and the family couldnt even fly first class for 6 grand let alone stay in disney as well wish we could though