Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit of a rant

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had my insurance renewal this year but everyone around me is saying theirs has gone up.

Now, we're talking about people with 20+ years experience (and a years more than last year!), no claims and cars which are a year older than last year and the premiums are going up anyway.

Soooooo scammy.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some ways to get cheaper insurance, Chris was talking about it to our friends.

The options are:

Go for a low cc car, the lower the cc the slower it goes and it is less of a risk.

Do an advanced driving course, like PassPlus (this is the most popular), IAM, RoSPA. By getting extra skills and experience, they consider that you are trying to make yourself a safer driver and will save much more than the cost of the course on their first insurance premium.

Take a limited mileage policy if you can commit to driving less than, say 3,000 or 5,000 miles a year. This will save money, and is a more convenient way of getting a discount.

Installing a “Pay as You Drive” black box into your car, which is just a high tech way of charging less for a limited mileage anyway.

Some insurance companies will add a parent as a second driver and this drops the premium a little bit. Never make yourself the main driver and add your son if the car isn't yours. If he were to have an accident and they found out that he drove it more than you, the insurance would be void. The other thing is he won't be able to earn his NCB.

Have a look at this site here it explains about the black box scheme or here

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Wendy, i've tried with under 1000cc and it's still ridiculous anyway looks like he won't be driving anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got michaels ins on one of the compare sites in the end for a cinquequento on a 10 month bonus accelerator so he got a yr ncd after that time so bringing the initial ins down. Put me on the policy which made it cheaper but it was still 2000.
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 262916
    There are some ways to get cheaper insurance, Chris was talking about it to our friends.

The options are:

Go for a low cc car, the lower the cc the slower it goes and it is less of a risk.

Do an advanced driving course, like PassPlus (this is the most popular), IAM, RoSPA. By getting extra skills and experience, they consider that you are trying to make yourself a safer driver and will save much more than the cost of the course on their first insurance premium.

Take a limited mileage policy if you can commit to driving less than, say 3,000 or 5,000 miles a year. This will save money, and is a more convenient way of getting a discount.

Installing a “Pay as You Drive” black box into your car, which is just a high tech way of charging less for a limited mileage anyway.

Some insurance companies will add a parent as a second driver and this drops the premium a little bit. Never make yourself the main driver and add your son if the car isn't yours. If he were to have an accident and they found out that he drove it more than you, the insurance would be void. The other thing is he won't be able to earn his NCB.

Have a look at this site here it explains about the black box scheme or here
    I've tried all of those things. The problem with those 'black box' things is that you have to not drive them after certain hours which would be super inconvenient and would take the whole point out of driving (For me anyway.) I've done Passplus and it seems that the companies that accept it for discounts, just increase their premiums to make up for it because often the ones that don't recognise it work out cheaper!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    just asked dh about this he said that some insurance companies gave him a %10 discount after he told them he was an iam advanced motorist.
    then it went up when he told the he is a police traffic officer!!! you just cant win

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess we've all been through it when we started out

mine was hideous for one year, went down the second, then when I was 21 it went down again.

I worked to save the money for the insurance and somehow it didn't matter that all the money went on that because it was all I wanted when I think now about all the money going on insurance which I never "used" I gulp but I'm much grumpier now I guess
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess the argument would be that you could be the most sensible 17 year old in the country but you have not had experience of driving on the road. Yes you had lessons and passed your test but our test has no motorway section, no driving in snow section, etc, etc, That all comes with experience.

But it's still a rip off for insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do get it really, but I do wonder what the actual cost of the risk is

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you'll just have to take the cheapest quote and grin and bear the cost like any other kid just starting to drive. Mike had a Saturday job that paid the monthly cost and we helped him where we could as we did with Lauren. What gets up my nose is it doesn't get cheaper when they pass their test as they are classed a more risky driver as they are driving on their own and not with an experienced driver next to them :(
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast