Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bit of a rant

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 262976
    I guess you'll just have to take the cheapest quote and grin and bear the cost like any other kid just starting to drive. Mike had a Saturday job that paid the monthly cost and we helped him where we could as we did with Lauren. What gets up my nose is it doesn't get cheaper when they pass their test as they are classed a more risky driver as they are driving on their own and not with an experienced driver next to them :(
    Well as he won't be getting a job for 4 years as he's hoping to go to Uni so he won't be driving I'm afraid. There are no jobs round here in any case, all the part time ones are taken up by older people who can't find full time work! I refuse to pay 300 a month on top of all the other stuff we'll be
    forking out! Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 262979
    Well as he won't be getting a job for 4 years as he's hoping to go to Uni so he won't be driving I'm afraid. There are no jobs round here in any case, all the part time ones are taken up by older people who can't find full time work! I refuse to pay 300 a month on top of all the other stuff we'll be
    forking out! Lol
    It sounds like we are both in the same situation!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    So. I wonder? Let's speculate for a minute.

Let's imagine that the situation that faces your son, Brit, and Josh becomes the norm. It becomes the norm for young people to not be able to obtain part time work, that they need to go go university for a chance at any job, and that they don't drive until they reach mid to late twenties.

Will that lower the rate? Will we then see less expensive insurance for first time drivers who are over 21?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to divert the thread away from insuring younger drivers, but just how much would you pay on average over there for some of the cars we drive here in the US, which for the most part are larger than 1000ccs by far.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 263042
    I hate to divert the thread away from insuring younger drivers, but just how much would you pay on average over there for some of the cars we drive here in the US, which for the most part are larger than 1000ccs by far.
    This is a tough one to answer John as it all depends on your age, the value of the car,any no claims discount you are entitled to, any previous convictions etc.etc.

I pay around 400 for my fully comprehensive insurance for the car which has a V8 4.2 litre supercharged engine....although I have maximum no claims discount and also I am of a "certain age".

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on where you live too. Inner city drivers will pay more than suburban or rural areas as their cars are more likely to be stolen. If you garage your car you pay less. The less mileage you do the less your insurance is. There's so many variables it's very confusing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 263044
    I pay around 400 for my fully comprehensive insurance for the car which has a V8 4.2 litre supercharged engine....although I have maximum no claims discount and also I am of a "certain age".
    My first car cost 400 to buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    my first car a ford anglia 1200 deluxe was 65 and 70 to insure and petrol was a mere 35p a gallon
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 262983
    So. I wonder? Let's speculate for a minute.

Let's imagine that the situation that faces your son, Brit, and Josh becomes the norm. It becomes the norm for young people to not be able to obtain part time work, that they need to go go university for a chance at any job, and that they don't drive until they reach mid to late twenties.

Will that lower the rate? Will we then see less expensive insurance for first time drivers who are over 21?
    It does dip somewhat when you get to 21 but 25 is when the rates come crashing down to 'normal' levels. There any many of my friends who have part time employment but they are in jobs which they have had since they were 16/17 or in family businesses. I had a job when I was 16 but it was full-time summer work.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems we have been fairly lucky then!
    We couldn't afford to get Robyn a car when she passed her test so I had her added to the insurance on my 1596cc 2002 ford focus.We are paying approx 600 for the year.Mine is usually around the 200 mark so hers is 400 for the year.Her excess is 650 though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast