Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bit of a rant

Post Thanks / Like
    About car insurance and young people. It's not blooming fair, trying to find someone to even give you a quote is a nightmare and when you do get one it's like 3000! How are they supposed to learn and go out and get a job especially living in a rural area? I know that they're more of a risk but really? It's ridiculous, all my friends in America, their kids have been driving since they were 15 and premiums not nearly as bad, blooming country! Rant over

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Really? Be sure you aren't comparing apples to oranges, though. I don't have a teen driver, and never did but it is my understanding that teen drivers on an insurance policy cause huge premium increases. I know if they purchase it themselves they'd better have a decent job.

Car insurance stands in the way of teens obtaining their own vehicles, quite often. (Again, according to family and friends).

Teens here in the US are statistically the group to have the most frequent accidents, followed by the elderly.

It does make it very hard though, agreed.

I think there used to be (or may still be) a program in some areas where if a teen took and passed driver education, and kept a high grade point average overall the premiums were lowered a bit.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    It's completely ridiculous. I drive a tiny Peugeot 107 - 1000cc engine. Even smaller than a US sub compact. To add a teenager on to my insurance policy - I was once quoted 5000. That's just a bit less than what I paid for the car. Young people don't stand a chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    said it before, and will say it again, insurance second only to banks as a scammy industry. Then again, since most of the insurance companies are owned by banks, I guess that explains it :(

I think we should go for a publicly owned insurance organisation and a compulsory third party policy fee should be part of a driving license charge or road tax fee.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that a year? And does that cover the teen for everything, or only basic liability?
    Just trying to get a sense of comparison to the situation over here.

But to be fair (in things other than just car insurance) teens do get a really bad "rap" for just about everything.

Guess it always has been that way.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I know he's my son and id say that he's not going to cause an accidentbut Dan is actually more sensible than me! (doesn't take much )

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the way you think, Keith.

Brit, here in this country the "general concept" (I have no idea if there is hard data to back this up) is that even a responsible teen turns into another type of person behind the wheel. The teen driver is depicted as someone who loads up her/his vehicle with friends, drives above the posted speed limit while texting and with the radio blaring.

Now, I drive three hours five days a week. I see men on cells weaving in and out of lanes, men in huge pick up trucks tailgating and cutting people off, women applying mascara while steering with a body part that is not visible through the car's windows, people eating, arguing, blasting music so they cannot hear emergency sirens. Older drivers in the center lane driving 20 or more miles per hour below the posted limit, causing all the other impatient drivers to make reckless manoeuvers to get around them...

No, the majority of them are NOT teens! And for the record, they aren't "tourists" either!

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to ever agree with the insurers, feeling as I do that they're scammers, but they can't really know that one teenager is sensible and another is not :( plus of course it's not all about sensible or not, to a degree it's about experience.

As we all know, even if we're driving along carefully, there's no accounting for that idiot who pulls out in front of us whilst on their mobile phone, doing their make up or turning round to shout at the kids in the back seat.

Really what helps us avoid accidents is experience of how bloomin' stupid other road users actually are!

Of course, even with all the experience in the world, you can't always account for the other idiots but that's another story.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 262890
    About car insurance and young people. It's not blooming fair, trying to find someone to even give you a quote is a nightmare and when you do get one it's like 3000! How are they supposed to learn and go out and get a job especially living in a rural area? I know that they're more of a risk but really? It's ridiculous, all my friends in America, their kids have been driving since they were 15 and premiums not nearly as bad, blooming country! Rant over
    Here, Here! I passed my test 3 years ago this October and have only been able to actually drive a handful of times because of the cost of insurance!

When my parents go away on holiday and I NEED the car, they will insure me temporarily on it so that I can get around... a week costs circa 60! I haven't had a quote less than 2,500 for a year and that is after passing my test three years ago, so that has gone down from what it was originally, too.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast