Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Zoom question!

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    9,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, as slowhand says, look at the OPTICAL zoom and disregard the digital zoom as it is not so much a zoom as a magnification and it really does spoil the quality of the pictures when you are zoomed in using the digital zoom.

    Please don't let the lack of zoom put you off an SLR. I have a sony alpha and I absolutely love it. The zoom is sufficient for 99% of my pictures but for the other 1% I have a zoom lens that was just under 100 and gets in really close (Plus it looks really pro )
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

  2. #12
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    20,859
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both VERY good points

    definitely stay away from digital zoom AND remember that you can always buy a longer zoom lens later for a DSLR!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com









  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you - the digital zoom thing is actually something i already know (dont faint!!!) just from experience of my other cameras more than anything

    Josh, which camera do you have? i was reading the reviews on the sony a390 and a nikon one and on both reviews it said how expensive the lenses are to buy, so id rather get one with a decent zoom on in the first place rather than pay out again if that makes sense?



  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    9,138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 263319
    Thank you - the digital zoom thing is actually something i already know (dont faint!!!) just from experience of my other cameras more than anything

    Josh, which camera do you have? i was reading the reviews on the sony a390 and a nikon one and on both reviews it said how expensive the lenses are to buy, so id rather get one with a decent zoom on in the first place rather than pay out again if that makes sense?
    I have the Sony Alpha A230. It's really nice, I did go out with all intentions on buying a canon but when I actually picked up the Sony I preferred the way it felt in your hands, the grip etc and the placement of the buttons.

    I do understand what you mean RE: Paying out extra. Just consider if you'd prefer the extra image quality of the SLR rather than a compact. How much zoom do you need? All of the SLRs will usually come with a 'kit' lens which is generally 18-55 or occasionally 18-70.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    That looks like a nice camera Josh!
    Um, not sure how much of a zoom i need - hard for me to say unless i see if that makes sense?! It makes sense to me anyway!



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •