Thread: Virgin to bring in flight wifi to flights

Post Thanks / Like
    Virgin Atlantic plans to take mid-air Wi-fi connectivity to a whole new level, the Tech Herald reports. Its revamped Red in-Flight Entertainment system, which is set to be integrated into seat back systems onboard certain Virgin aircraft during 2012, has been built on Lufthansa’s BoardConnect platform and will provide passengers with instant Wi-Fi access and a raft of other services.

Passengers can look forward to receiving touch-screen access to live satellite television, cached specialty channels, more than 30 on-demand movies, premium TV channels such as HBO, video games, seat-to-seat chat, in-flight shopping, and an MP3 library containing 3000 tracks.

Although it remains to be seen how much Wi-Fi freedom Virgin will deliver, Tech Herald suggests passengers equipped with or without compatible mobile devices will be able to use their email accounts and social networks directly through Red.

Post Thanks / Like
    So long as they never allow phones to be used

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh gosh, can you imagine? A nine hour flight with someone who talks loudly on their mobile non-stop?

I'd have to be sedated.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'd have to think that if internet is allowed then people would be able to use skype and other voice over ip apps just like a phone sooooo ;-)
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that could be added to the "forbidden list of things to do according to Tink."

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd hate to imagine a long flight with someone using Skype etc etc, however I do think even the loudest of people are mostly concious of being quiet on a plane because of the environment they're in.. kind of like a library
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 263526
    I'd hate to imagine a long flight with someone using Skype etc etc, however I do think even the loudest of people are mostly concious of being quiet on a plane because of the environment they're in.. kind of like a library
    true and to be honest, its no different to me than people talking loudly between themselves on the plane or kids screaming etc etc
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Aarrgghhh my worst nightmare, it can't happen. Some people can't help but shout when they use a phone

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.