Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Port Orleans?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know there are some super fans of Por Orleans in this forum

So come on out and share why you love this resort, which do you prefer, tips, suggestions, etc...

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's our favorite!

It's reasonably quiet. It just seems to be off the beaten path a bit. I quite enjoy getting up early in the morning and walking over to the food court to get coffee for my DW and I. It's usually quite peaceful and the only company I have on that walk is the occasional duck or bunny who wants to tag along in the hopes that I'll drop some food.

Additionally, we've had some of the best meals anywhere in the restaurant there (Boatwrights Dining Hall). So much so that we now make sure we have at least one or two dinners there on each trip.

Then there's the River Roost lounge (it used to be called the Cotton Co-op I believe). This is the place to be if Yehaa Bob is playing. More fun than you can believe and of course, the kids have to get involved too.

Like I said, it's our favorite resort. But you knew that.

Tom (:macave:... it's still Dixie Landings to me!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I love POR. It's the first place we ever stayed at. Back then it was called Dixie Landings. I love the resort. I love Piano Bob.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive heard so much about Piano Bob

and everyone Ive heard who has stayed there has found it lovely...

so which side is better?

riverside or French quarter? I know they both must have their charm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mari, we stayed at PORFQ and it was very nice indeed. The rooms are typical of the moderates but the grounds were especially nice. The landscaping was really nice. We all enjoyed walking up to POR and stopping by Boatwrights, sitting by the pool, and taking the boat to DTD. We had a great Good Friday meal at Olivia's in OKW. You can get there by boat from DTD.

The food court had a nice selection and the lobby was nice. I think you are better off at the FQ with buses in the morning. They usually stopped there before heading over to the rest of the resort.

I and my family really enjoyed our stay there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mari, post: 263839
    riverside or French quarter?
    Actually, you've got two sections in Riverside also. There's Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend. We prefer the Alligator Bayou section of Riverside. It has more of a "in the woods" feel to it. The buildings are more set back into the many trees. I suppose, if you wanted to equate it to something, you might think you were in a Louisiana swamp. But without all the nasty bugs and critters.

Magnolia Bend on the other hand is more like the stately old homes of the old South. Think "Gone With the Wind". Quite charming. But we prefer the woods!

Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 263844
    I think you are better off at the FQ with buses in the morning. They usually stopped there before heading over to the rest of the resort.
    We've never had this happen in the many times we've stayed at POR. I suppose it probably depends on when you're there and the park attendance but it's never happened to us. In fact, we've had just the opposite happen. We got picked up first at POR and then the bus went to POFQ.

They all got to stand up.

Tom (... big ole' Yehaa Bob fan!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I think I'd like Magnolia Bend, very Charleston. This is probably the resort we'll stay at if Jon doesn't accompany us, how far is it to walk to the bus stops? What is the transportation like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Port Orleans is our favorite moderate also. Either Riverside or French Quarter, but our preference is POR. We love the mansions. And as others have said Piano Bob. It is nice to spend an evening with him and be able to walk home after a few drinks. One advantage to POFQ though is that you can get Beignets there, and if you happen to have a TIW card it is good in Food Court there, but not at POR.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    There are 4 bus stops around the periphery of the resort. You can see the layout on this map:

Both the North and East depots are pretty accessible from the Acadian or Manolia buildings. From the Oak and Parterre buildings, you'd probably want to go to the South Depot. South Depot is the main one right in front of the lobby.

Also, keep in mind that it's only a pleasant 1/4 mile walk up or down the river to either resort. So, it's pretty easy to pop over to POFQ from POR or vice versa. Also, the boats do that run regularly if you don't want to walk.

Tom (... all y'all come back now! Ya' hear?)

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like a lovely resort!

Thanks for the map Tom! it looks pretty big and spread out

4 stops for 1 resort seems like a lot to me! ... but I guess it makes it so much better when you get back tired from the park and dont have to walk all the way around the resort to your room!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast