Thread: Advice/tips

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

I am in reflective mode today and I have been thinking about my work and I realised that I need to improve my skills as a manager and my administration skills when it come to paperwork, filing and responding to emails etc.

I am doing two roles at work and time is not my best friend (no excuse I know!) so basically, how do I ensure that my staff respect me as a manager and not to take for granted or knowing that I am 'too' soft. Granted that sometime I want my staff to feel that they can approach me whenever they want and I am approachable but at times it does give them an impression that I am easy to control or will let them any time.

Secondly, my paperwork is a mess and I am trying to set up a 'system; but it does not work for me and I am struggling to keep on top of it.

I am feeling a bit low as I am not sure how to deal with it. I have a mentoring session booked on Tuesday so hopefully I will be able to address some of the issue.

So if you have any advice, information or website, books etc that may help me. Please do let me know!

Post Thanks / Like
    i'm sure it's really not that bad, by being reflective you are showing that you know that you need to change a few things and that's a really good start!

As a manager you have to make decisions that people aren't going to like and it took me some time to realise that you just can't be everyone's friend. All you can do is try to be fair and consistent.

As far as organisation is concerned i pride myself on this!! Have you got any kind of system for organising your time or tasks? I like lists and prioritising tasks on them- i use a series of stars- *** has to be done today or something really really bad will happen, ** to be done today unless impossible and * in the next 3 days. It works for me anyway. I also need to have a tidy work area- if i don't i can't concentrate.

Funnily enough my course i'm starting next month is a management one- in the care field. I'll let you know if i find any good ideas!

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be great!

I tries to have to do list and it doesn't work sigh.... My work desk is a mess and I have at least 7 areas where I can store stuff and it is just mainly storage at the moment!!

I have been told that I need a system and filing system as part of my development at work and I am thinking...... where to start!

Post Thanks / Like
    well try thinking of all the problems that you have, make a list of them and then work out what you're going to do first and work from there. May i suggest the desk first! It may take a little time to do it but that time spent will be worth it

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a picture of your desk so I can be inspired!

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you start? Right there. Pick up a piece of paper and put it where it belongs (create a belongs space if you need to) and move to the next paper/thing.

I don't know if it's allowed but you may need to go in on off hours just to get things organized.

Create places/stations for categories of the items that you control or come across your desk.

I have basic categories for instance: Resident related, then within this category is it health related or social? Staff related: categories, training, work hours, disciplinary issues. Family (families are a huge part of what I do): categories for families are "Issues" or Information.

You must get an approximation of organization.

With regard to staff, it's critical to keep everything equal across the board. If you allow one parent to have time off for a particular issue, then any other parent would be eligible for that same concession.

Never go against company policy with regard to staff matters. Policies (written policies are what I mean) are your template, your best friend in many cases.

I have expectations for staff. Perfection is not one of them. Perfect is not a goal, a target, or an "allowed" concept. EXCELLENCE is expected. That is achievable, and we strive for it daily.

I have levels of interaction for staff matters. I'll ask to speak with you and express concern regarding the issue. We'll discuss why the issue is a problem, and what needs to be done (relying on those policies for direction). I'll end the session on a positive note. This is an informal session, but a serious one none the less.

Step two for me is a "coaching session." Paper comes out. Detailed expectations for corrections are laid down, and signatures are obtained.

If there needs to be a step three, then we go into the formal disciplinary process of my workplace... that is the road to termination if the staff member does not immediately and permanently change the problematic performance.

I use a planner. It's big enough to write daily tasks and make notes. It's critical for me. I have six buildings of frail elders and four sets of state and federal regulations to uphold that apply to some portions of the buildings, or may apply to all portions. I have about 80 staff from licensed professionals to unlicensed companions (caregivers). All of whom have their performance governed by different rules, regs, ect. Without the planner and my notes jotted on a daily (almost hourly basis) I'd be useless and lost.

I use color coding. Red for this category, green for that, blue for another, yellow for another, orange... you get the idea. Anything to do with the red category uses red, file folders, ink, labels, flags...

I can plan about 65% of my day. It ALWAYS get's interrupted with an event or action that could not have been planned or foreseen. I have to be flexible and be able to rocket a new priority to the top of the list at a moments notice.

Also, I have learned this the very hard way, I've made direct and bold signs for my office door. If I shut that door (VERY rare event) and put up one of those signs, EVERYONE must abide by the "request" on the door (some version of do not disturb). I use those signs only when I am working on a deadline and it's closing in and I'm concerned that I will not meet the legally required deadline.

So, all that to say, what to do with beginning to organize? What is the first step? JUST START IT. Pick up that first piece of paper and begin there. Don't think too far forward, don't let it overwhelm you.

Once you have some level of organization in place, you will have gained more control of your time, and that is what it really is all about. Controlling your time, and what you do with it.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle