Thread: Apple Mac experts????

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all

Is anyone here a resident expert in using Mac software - particularly iMovie? I have 2 technical questions that so far have stumped the so-called 'Genius' people at Apple.....

Thanks
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Speak (or type). We "might" be able to supply an answer.

Which version of iMovie are we talking about?

Tom (... been known to make a few iMovies hisself!)

Post Thanks / Like
    We are talking about iMovie 11, using Lion OS.

Basically having two problems that no-one can help with:

1) I'm working on about 8000 small clips that all need exporting. Everytime I export a file, iMovie crashes and then takes 5 minutes to re-load. Spent two whole days on the phone to Apple - have even re-installed iMovie and Lion. No luck.

2) Spent a whole day last week creating about 250 small projects. Went to export them all this morning to see that 'source clip is missing' on every single one of them, even though I've done nothing, and the source clips can even be seen in the events below.

Internet searches have revealed little except something about renaming binary files (yeah right!)

Any help gratefully received!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkkent, post: 264075
    1) I'm working on about 8000 small clips that all need exporting. Everytime I export a file, iMovie crashes and then takes 5 minutes to re-load. Spent two whole days on the phone to Apple - have even re-installed iMovie and Lion. No luck.
    Export how? Export Movie? Export Quicktime? Did you re-install Quicktime? Do you have any other, strange video codecs loaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkkent, post: 264075
    2) Spent a whole day last week creating about 250 small projects. Went to export them all this morning to see that 'source clip is missing' on every single one of them, even though I've done nothing, and the source clips can even be seen in the events below.
    Does this help? It's for iMovie 09 but conceptually, it should be the pretty close.

Tom (... wow... so many clips! So little disk space.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 264083
    Export how? Export Movie? Export Quicktime? Did you re-install Quicktime? Do you have any other, strange video codecs loaded?

Does this help? It's for iMovie 09 but conceptually, it should be the pretty close.

Tom (... wow... so many clips! So little disk space.)
    Hi Tom

Yes. Sooo many clips! Many more to come!

Exporting using QuickTime into a mpeg file. Crashes when using other file types. QuickTime has the latest update that came with Lion OS. No other codecs installed- it's about as 'virgin' as a system gets really.

I saw that PDF about changing file names in terminal but to be honest with the amount of clips I have it would be quicker to just re-do the editing.

Thanks for your time on this.

Cheers

Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkkent, post: 264084
    Exporting using QuickTime into a mpeg file. Crashes when using other file types. QuickTime has the latest update that came with Lion OS. No other codecs installed- it's about as 'virgin' as a system gets really.
    You're absolutely certain you don't have anything else like Xvid, DIVX, WMV, or Perian installed?

I seem to remember having a similar issue when I first went to Lion and ended up having to dump a component or two to get it working. Can't remember exactly what though. This Technote may help.

Tom (:mawave:... beats head firmly against wall... )

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey

Sorry for delay in replying - been away working a few days.

I've double checked everything - no add-ons etc. Think I'm just going to have to live with it and then save up for a new computer at some point. This one is now 5 years old, so has done us well :) If I need to do any exporting, I'll just nick the other half's MBP when he's not looking

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkkent, post: 264301
    I'll just nick the other half's MBP when he's not looking

Sounds like a plan!

Just be prepared. The new one is going to be sooooo much faster. And besides, what's a few CPU cycles when it's all in the family.

Tom (... you can't have mine!)