Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are We Being Selfish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Why yes you are being very selfish (he says tongue in cheek). You didn't ask me to go with you. LOL

Becca, honey, you need to do what is right for your family. Mothers-in-law can sometimes be very difficult. I am fortunate to have a great one.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Becca, you are not being selfish there isn't anything selfish about you at all. Just think about the past and how you have put others first that is not the sign of a selfish person.

I've always been told by my own Mother that I am selfish and and don't think about other people I have finally learned that what she says doesn't matter anymore. I can't see why not exchanging gifts is a problem for her, especially if no thought goes into finding the gift.

I was asked not to buy gifts for some people in our family, but my answer to them was, that I don't give to receive and it makes me happy by sending something. If Jon's mum was that upset about it then she would or could still buy for the kids and Jon

Don't worry or give it another thought Becca, carry on planning your Disney Christmas and to the rest of them if they don't understand

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    becca

i dont think its selfish at all to want to spend the festive season with just YOUR family at WDW, not in the slightest. you dont have to spend it with the extended family every year if you dont want to, thats entirely up to you and jon

as for gifts, was it just her you wasnt buying gifts for or the whole family you normally buy for?
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Becca is it the gifts or your family not being there for the holiday? If it's the holiday, invite her to dinner before you leave. Maybe you will be able to appease her that way, I don't know if you decorate early or not but if it has a holiday flair than it may do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    of course the house can wait!

plus, its YOUR MONEY, I would think you get to decide what and who to spend it on

I honestly dont think its selfish, at least not the gift exchange.

In our case, the previous years when most of our family made an effort to BE HERE for the holidays, leaving to go to Disney or anywhere else would have seemed selfish, now, with half the family in other countries, not coming over, going to Disney would just seem like a nice idea...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you don't mind me replying, but it sounds to me like the only selfish person is your mother in law.

Hope you have a brilliant Christmas at Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are one big happy family here, of course Becca won't mind you replying :)

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by livlovespooh, post: 265281
    Hope you don't mind me replying
    thats what this forum is all about :) please join in any thread you have something to say in/reply to and become part of our online disney family, well your part of our family already by joining us :D
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Becca, I don't think you are being selfish. You are making memories that will last a lifetime with your family. What is better than that? Stand by for some blowback but that will pass and your family will be able to share their experience for the rest of their lives.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by livlovespooh, post: 265281
    Hope you don't mind me replying, but it sounds to me like the only selfish person is your mother in law.

Hope you have a brilliant Christmas at Disney World.
    Are you kidding? I appreciate ANY reply that reiterates that my bother-in-law is selfish ;-)

J/K - mostly.

Thank you - everyone - for the heartfelt replies. They have absolutely put my mind to rest. As did her comment last night when we she asked about it again and then said, "That's fine. I'm planning to be at your sister's house anyway. I'll want to spend Christmas with the new baby." Seriously? Um, she wasn't even planning on being around for Christmas anyway? No. Turns out she was expecting us to drive the 4 hours to be there and accommodate everyone else - what we always do.

The thing is, I spent my entire summer (and most of our savings) traveling around to various parts of the country visiting family who were either sick, pregnant or just "missed me." I don't regret it, it was ABSOLUTELY the right thing to do. But by the same token, it took a HUGE emotional and physical toll on our family (think Texas in July w/ a rental car where we put 1000 miles on it in 6 days) - and to be terribly honest...we all need a break. And this is, as you have all said, what we choose to do with OUR money and OUR time.

I will absolutely offer to have an early holiday celebration, I think that's a great idea! Thank you!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast