Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Statue of Liberty

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    5,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    One piece of advice would be to get there as early as possible. The boat to Liberty Island and Ellis island goes from Castle Clinton at Battery Park (it's a circular hop on/hop off ride). We were there before it opened and sorted our tickets. It is quite a lengthy security procedure - think airport security. We were on the first boat of the day, went to Liberty first and then Ellis island. When we got back at around 1.30 pm the queue for the boat was easily 2 hours+ long!!

    Your trip probably won't take as long if there is no access to the statue but I should imagine it will still be very busy!






    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    13,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw, post: 266140
    Your trip probably won't take as long if there is no access to the statue but I should imagine it will still be very busy!
    Thanks Lisa - the plan is to go first thing

    I actually have tried looking for a bus tour that doesn't take too long. Thinking of it as getting a general idea of where things are and hopefully seeing some of the not so major sites that we don't have time for.
    Any suggestions? Did you do any tours?

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berkshire UK
    Posts
    5,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    We only did one bus tour which was the night one which I would highly recommend! It takesyou over to Brooklyn so you can view the skyline at night - just beautiful!

    We had the 7 day NY pass for our attraction entry and did loads with it but we just used transport to get around.

    I was worried about finding my way around before I went and timings but it is actually very easy once you are there.

    I can't remember exactly but I would say from Grand Central down to the bottom tip of Manhattan on the underground takes around 20 minutes or so, that may help you with your timings which is the thing I found most difficult with the planning!






    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #24
    Moderator Beccaberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    13,989
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely good advice to arrive early ;-)

    When we're in the city we always see these "double decker" tour busses around where the people seem to be enjoying themselves...I've no idea the name of the line, but I'll be in the city on Sunday (next) for the NYC marathon and I'll try and pay closer attention.




  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, we have been to NYC three times and absolutely love it. My 1st trip we caught the Staten Island Ferry (free) and that takes about 1/2 hour to Staten Island, going past the Statue of Liberty - stunning views. You have to be a bit quick when it docks and you can get off and back on the same ferry so whole trip from Manhatten 1 hour. I would get a New York Pass which has free boat to Statue of Liberty built in. Also good for Empire State, Circle Line night cruise, Top of the Rock, various museums and the zoo. Well worth the money and you can skip some queues.

    I have travelled with my 65 year old mother and also with husband and children so could advise you on other queries..... wish I was going, I love NY

    Don't forget the Disney store on 5th Avenue
    xx
    Montymouse


  6. #26
    Moderator Beccaberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Milford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    13,989
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly the 5th Ave Disney Store has closed. They did open one in Times Square, though! Also recommend Toys R Us and FAO...even without kiddos they are fun places to see!




  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    13,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw, post: 266142
    We had the 7 day NY pass for our attraction entry and did loads with it but we just used transport to get around.
    I've also been looking at a pass which gets you subway and bus rides for the duration for $29. They are regular buses but I imagine they may be quicker than tour buses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 266145
    When we're in the city we always see these "double decker" tour busses around where the people seem to be enjoying themselves...I've no idea the name of the line, but I'll be in the city on Sunday (next) for the NYC marathon and I'll try and pay closer attention.
    Thanks - Gray Line was the company I was looking at as they seemed to go everywhere we needed apart from the Bronx Zoo

    Quote Originally Posted by montymouse, post: 266147
    Hi, we have been to NYC three times and absolutely love it. My 1st trip we caught the Staten Island Ferry (free) and that takes about 1/2 hour to Staten Island, going past the Statue of Liberty - stunning views. You have to be a bit quick when it docks and you can get off and back on the same ferry so whole trip from Manhatten 1 hour. I would get a New York Pass which has free boat to Statue of Liberty built in. Also good for Empire State, Circle Line night cruise, Top of the Rock, various museums and the zoo. Well worth the money and you can skip some queues.

    I have travelled with my 65 year old mother and also with husband and children so could advise you on other queries..... wish I was going, I love NY

    Don't forget the Disney store on 5th Avenue
    xx
    Thanks - I will probably have LOADS more NY questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 266168
    Sadly the 5th Ave Disney Store has closed. They did open one in Times Square, though! Also recommend Toys R Us and FAO...even without kiddos they are fun places to see!
    I know I'm going straight to Orlando from NY but I probably won't be able to resist having a peek at the Disney store! FAO....is that the store witht he giant piano keys?

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dorset UK
    Posts
    3,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    i found some good info on this site diane http://www.viator.com/New-York-City-...f=02&aid=g3318

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    13,427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by daveann, post: 267569
    i found some good info on this site diane http://www.viator.com/New-York-City-...f=02&aid=g3318
    Thank you - popped it onto my fav list and will have a good look at it later

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •