Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives To Crowded Parks?

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I'm not delusional. I know going at Christmas we are likely to face the largest crowds we've ever faced at Disney, and that's ok. We've been eleventy billion times and we'll likely be back so I don't have to "do it all". We're just there to enjoy ourselves as a family and have some fun.

Having said that...what are you best onsite tips, tricks and hints to avoid/beat/tolerate the crowds? Where do you go, what do you do? Spend a day at the pool? Hit DD? Cruise the Boardwalk? Tour the resorts?

I've got my pencil ready to start making a list and checking it twice!

Post Thanks / Like
    We seem to always be there with a holiday so we have experienced big crowds. You know not to let them deter you. That being said, we like to get away to the resorts and enjoy the public areas. The GF is beautiful that time of year and there always seems to be good traffic. It is wonderful to sit in the lobby and watch the world go by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny you should say that, guess where my daughter cannot WAIT to go? Yep, the Grand Floridian. She had an encounter with the lovely "poodle lady" last time we were there, and has wanted to go back since the moment we left...that's all she talked about for days!

Post Thanks / Like
    I love a day at the resort... a day at DTD checking out shops and buying cute stuff

having ADRs also makes being in the crowds doable since YOU KNOW you have somewhere to eat and will be able to relax a bit at the restaurant

Using fast passes for must do rides

Leaving the parks early, since most crowds seem to increase right around lunch time

getting a Margarita at Epcot and sitting down to people watch

going to places that arent as popular like the Imagination pavillion at Epcot

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 265913
    So, I'm not delusional.
    Really?

Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 265913
    I know going at Christmas we are likely to face the largest crowds we've ever faced at Disney, and that's ok.
    Seriously, don't forget that on days like Christmas day, the park is going to be mobbed and they'll probably close the park early. If you're not in by then, you're not getting in. You'll need to be in there early and plan on staying all day and into the evening. Once you leave, you're totally and completely out and won't be able to get back in.

Now having said that, I think I'd be a big fan of just doing the hotel tour. Go from one to the other and just drink in the decorations and the ambience.

But that's just me.

Tom (... generally crowdphobic...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 265925
    Funny you should say that, guess where my daughter cannot WAIT to go? Yep, the Grand Floridian. She had an encounter with the lovely "poodle lady" last time we were there, and has wanted to go back since the moment we left...that's all she talked about for days!

The poodle lady? Is that the lady who is all dressed up and sits in the lobby with a basket? She was there on numerous evenings we were at the GF in August and we wondered what the story was as she was always sitting in exactly the same place just dressed differently!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw, post: 265933
    The poodle lady? Is that the lady who is all dressed up and sits in the lobby with a basket? She was there on numerous evenings we were at the GF in August and we wondered what the story was as she was always sitting in exactly the same place just dressed differently!
    Yes, that was probably Ms. Lynn. I don't know *much* about her, all I know is that she is a widow and she visits the GF often to listen to the live music, something she and her husband used to do. That is about the sum total of what I know, except to say she really made an impact on Baleigh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 265931
    Really?

Who knew?
    Shhhhhhhhhhh I'm trying to keep that on the d/l.

Now having said that, I think I'd be a big fan of just doing the hotel tour. Go from one to the other and just drink...
    You had me at drink ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 265936
    Yes, that was probably Ms. Lynn. I don't know *much* about her, all I know is that she is a widow and she visits the GF often to listen to the live music, something she and her husband used to do. That is about the sum total of what I know, except to say she really made an impact on Baleigh!
    Awww, the pianist was playing each time we saw her so it must have been Ms. Lynn. She had a big basket of what looked like plush toys with her but we didn't like to stare, just found her fascinating with how she was dressed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I had never heardof Miss Lynn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast