Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: If you would like to see a planet with the naked eye...

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw Io go around Jupiter the other night. That was pretty awesome. You can make out that Jupiter isn't a star with some of the departments store telescopes.

This is an important year as Dr. Chris may have mentioned. 2009 is the International Year of Astronomy. It marks the 400'th anniversary of Galileo's survey of the sky with a telescope. Even some of the cheapy ones will still give you a neat view of the sky. Heck they may be as good as the telescope used by Galileo himself. Ah..just don't look at the sun...didn't work out too well for him:rolleyes008:

Post Thanks / Like
    I was using bino's last night 9.99 from lidls - excellent nights viewing to be had

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW....that picture of Jupiter I attached came from one of your (UK) robotic telescope sites. Not sure if it is proper to include a link to the telescope, but I could message it to those who wish to take their own pictures. The telescope is on a volcano on Tenerife.

Post Thanks / Like
    La Palma I suspect - it is my dream to go there one night - the visibility and seeing are supposed to be epic

Post Thanks / Like
    I just went to the webpage, and it looks to be on Tenerife Island in the Canary Islands. It is on the Tiede Volcano at an altitude of over 7000 feet. You can access the site for educational purposes and it is a fee service of University of Bradford.

Post Thanks / Like
    there are observatories all over the cararies - really dark skies in la palma

Post Thanks / Like
    Posting a link would be fine, Dan.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Tink.. here is the link.

http://www.telescope.org/index.php

This is a great site as it allows you to select the item, select the exposure time, and access the filters.

I will try to attach a picture of m31-anromeda galaxy

Post Thanks / Like
    i take it you hve to sign up to the site dan to get anywhere on it
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Mick just needed an email address. Think it is dedicated to teachers and students but you might try. There is a lot of data on the site, both real time and archived for the past 24 hours. You could make an entire course out of the offerings at the site. BTW...anyone familiar with the University of Bradford? I just googled this site a few years ago. They have revamped it and it is awesome. So where is Bradford?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast