Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like
    I will tell you what happened once before I was married... we were engaged to be married and both of us come from a large family but his parents had divorced and remarried and both families had had children so his family had grown even larger...

To fit them all in so no one was offended by not seeing us as there were still some rivalries going on and we couldn't do one and not the other (sighs).. We had Christmas dinner at my parents house early, then we rushed over to his Dad and Step mothers house and had another Christmas dinner with those siblings and everyone, then we had to leave and have another Christmas dinner with his Mothers family and siblings there then we had to go and have a late Christmas dinner with his Grandparents and then we had to rush to have Christmas dinner with a cousin of his who was hosting his first Christmas dinner with his fairly new wife and wanted to impress his friends and such. I couldn't hardly eat much by then and hope I didn't offend but seriously... never again. We never did that again and after that we stayed and had Christmas dinner in our own home.

I swear this is true... FIVE Christmas dinners in ONE day :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Esmeralda, post: 266648
    I will tell you what happened once before I was married... we were engaged to be married and both of us come from a large family but his parents had divorced and remarried and both families had had children so his family had grown even larger...

To fit them all in so no one was offended by not seeing us as there were still some rivalries going on and we couldn't do one and not the other (sighs).. We had Christmas dinner at my parents house early, then we rushed over to his Dad and Step mothers house and had another Christmas dinner with those siblings and everyone, then we had to leave and have another Christmas dinner with his Mothers family and siblings there then we had to go and have a late Christmas dinner with his Grandparents and then we had to rush to have Christmas dinner with a cousin of his who was hosting his first Christmas dinner with his fairly new wife and wanted to impress his friends and such. I couldn't hardly eat much by then and hope I didn't offend but seriously... never again. We never did that again and after that we stayed and had Christmas dinner in our own home.

I swear this is true... FIVE Christmas dinners in ONE day :(
    Did you ever see that Vicar of Dibley episode?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 266650
    Did you ever see that Vicar of Dibley episode?
    No never watch it. What happened/ May youtube it if it's any good?

Post Thanks / Like
    She had to eat christmas dinner at about 5 different houses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tink and Tinkfan, sorry for your losses. I know exactly how you feel. Makes it tough, but I think you will find that you will have a heightened appreciation for the time together with your family.

My SIL lost her dear mom about 5 years ago. She was a pretty traditional Italian lady (or at least as traditional as they get in Northeastern Pennsylvania). My DW, DD, and I would be visiting my mom and dad at the time and would spend the evening together listening to Christmas music, watching Christmas movies, doing last minute wrapping (after last minute shopping - always loved going out during Christmas Eve to hit the Boscov's department store for one or two last minute gifts), and having a drink of wine. Later we always went to midnight mass.

My brother would always leave to partake in the night of 100 fishes. SIL, her mom and grandmom, would spend the previous two days preparing all kinds of fish (bacala - salted cod, smelt, eel, flounder, calimari, shrimp, etc). They would have their traditional seafood dinner and then meet us at the cathedral in Scranton.

Usually there was lots of snow and freezing temps. We would get home after mass, put on Christmas songs and play them rather low as our mom and dad were asleep by then and DD was also in bed. We would open a few presents in exchange and help retrieve Santa's gifts for under the tree. We would then most likely sit and talk and finish that bottle of wine. Then lights out, for in a few short hours...all heck would break out as our daughter Alex would awaken and run for the tree.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 266669
    She had to eat christmas dinner at about 5 different houses.
    Like me then May have to watch it... wonder if it was a struggle for her too! Hers was for tv mine was for real! It started at 12 noon and went on til late, my poor tummy. About two hours at each place and then run to the car for the next one... then by the end of the night we rolled out to the car. Luckily I could eat loads back then, sighs those were the days with a 23 inch waist...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 266678
    Tink and Tinkfan, sorry for your losses. I know exactly how you feel. Makes it tough, but I think you will find that you will have a heightened appreciation for the time together with your family.

My SIL lost her dear mom about 5 years ago. She was a pretty traditional Italian lady (or at least as traditional as they get in Northeastern Pennsylvania). My DW, DD, and I would be visiting my mom and dad at the time and would spend the evening together listening to Christmas music, watching Christmas movies, doing last minute wrapping (after last minute shopping - always loved going out during Christmas Eve to hit the Boscov's department store for one or two last minute gifts), and having a drink of wine. Later we always went to midnight mass.

My brother would always leave to partake in the night of 100 fishes. SIL, her mom and grandmom, would spend the previous two days preparing all kinds of fish (bacala - salted cod, smelt, eel, flounder, calimari, shrimp, etc). They would have their traditional seafood dinner and then meet us at the cathedral in Scranton.

Usually there was lots of snow and freezing temps. We would get home after mass, put on Christmas songs and play them rather low as our mom and dad were asleep by then and DD was also in bed. We would open a few presents in exchange and help retrieve Santa's gifts for under the tree. We would then most likely sit and talk and finish that bottle of wine. Then lights out, for in a few short hours...all heck would break out as our daughter Alex would awaken and run for the tree.!

Not Saint Patricks cathedral? My family is from Scranton PA!!! I love Boscovs! Doyou remember The Globe or The Scranton Dry? How about Williams Candy Store!!!!! The best!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The night of 100 fishes? Wow! We've done Seven fishes and thirteen fishes, but not 100! That would take some doing!

Five dinners. Wooosh! How full can one person get?!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 266712
    The night of 100 fishes? Wow! We've done Seven fishes and thirteen fishes, but not 100! That would take some doing!

Five dinners. Wooosh! How full can one person get?!
    It wasn't easy, by mistake because you are hungry you fill up on the first dinner :( then the next dinner is so delicious.... and so it goes on... by the last dinner it was just pitiful and embarrassing to push the food around the plate.. sorry Tim and wife :(

The stupid thing is this... we did it because we didn't want to offend anybody and then ended up offending everybody because we practically had to eat and run. Never ever again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did they all know what you had been doing?!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast