Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 266737
    Did they all know what you had been doing?!
    Lol. My parents did but not the others. That's why we went to them first so they could do dinner early for us. They understood the in law and step in law situations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkfan, post: 266706
    Not Saint Patricks cathedral? My family is from Scranton PA!!! I love Boscovs! Doyou remember The Globe or The Scranton Dry? How about Williams Candy Store!!!!! The best!!!!!!!!
    Yeah...love the Globe store! What a small world...ok, don't go there, can here the music for the ride. How cool is that? Went to Saint Pats in Olyphant, but was thinking of Saint Peter's in Scranton. This is the coolest thing that happened today!

Loved to eat lunch in the mezzanine restaurant in the Scranton Dry!

Love to go to see santa in the Globe though ... that was the class santa in town in the old days.

Where was the Williams Candy store...was it on Spruce St? We were big Gertrude Hawks candy fans...love the Smidgens!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 266712
    The night of 100 fishes? Wow! We've done Seven fishes and thirteen fishes, but not 100! That would take some doing!

Five dinners. Wooosh! How full can one person get?!

I was never good at math....

Maybe it was that they smelled like 100 fishes when they returned!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Watchinherskip, post: 266753
    Yeah...love the Globe store! What a small world...ok, don't go there, can here the music for the ride. How cool is that? Went to Saint Pats in Olyphant, but was thinking of Saint Peter's in Scranton. This is the coolest thing that happened today!

Loved to eat lunch in the mezzanine restaurant in the Scranton Dry!

Love to go to see santa in the Globe though ... that was the class santa in town in the old days.

Where was the Williams Candy store...was it on Spruce St? We were big Gertrude Hawks candy fans...love the Smidgens!!!
    My Moms family was from Scranton, my Dads from Archbald and my cousins live in Olyphant!!Williams was on Spruce I believe, it was in residential downtown! My cousin brought me smidgens 2 weeks ago!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Normally we buy new pyjamas to wear for Christmas eve, we have a hot chocolate and watch Disney Christmas DVD, can't remember what it is, think it one of those short stories.

Christmas Day, it usual christmas presents exchange between four cats and a dog! My parents usual get here for 11am and stays until 5pm.

Once they have gone we have a 'cold' platters of various stuff :metal: I simply love this.

We would then settle down for Dr Who!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkfan, post: 266757
    My Moms family was from Scranton, my Dads from Archbald and my cousins live in Olyphant!!Williams was on Spruce I believe, it was in residential downtown! My cousin brought me smidgens 2 weeks ago!!!
    That is so freaky...my mom was born in Archbald and my dad was from Olyphant! Go Smidgens!!! I went to HS in Olyphant...couldn't you just die?

Post Thanks / Like
    This year I'm having Mum, Martin and Daniel for dinner....probably do turkey crown, roasties, carrots, sprouts, parsnips, stuffing, bread sauce, cranberry sauce and gravy. Still trying to decide on desserts, one option will have to be christmas pudding of course! I also usually make a flan with clementines which the boys love.

Mmmm, warm mince pies with brandy butter...yum!

We also let the boys open a present on Christmas Eve as I used to when I was young, and yes we also have new PJ's!

I'll have to do dinner fairly early as I'm also hosting the evening family get together but I think instead of having mountains of food I'll just do a cheese board and meat platter with crusty bread and butter and pickles.

I usually try to have a snuggly evening in the week leading up to the day with finger food or pizza and a Christmas film, Christmas tree lighting and the fire on so we're nice and cosy!

I know we're dreading those 2 empty spaces in our hearts but I believe we'll all pull together as usual and crack on with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I grew up in a small family so the idea of 5, 10 or 24 people coming over is amazing to me. I do remember one Christmas that we spent with extended family, when I was real young. It was nice.

However, except for that one time, it's been my parents and me. Christmas Eve wasn't really special. Christmas Day I would wake up and be real quiet as I picked up each present and shook them viciously. Then when my parents got out of bed I would have to put on a VELVET DRESS. It was horrible. I guess I was a real life doll at that time.

I opened presents and then we had dinner. Now in my parents house, dinner always consisted of ham, for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Then there were sugar cookies galore, which I love. I can eat a batch by myself.

Then we all just rested and did our own things. Usually involving the tv somehow and new presents. :D

While I have been an adult for many years now I have not really set up my own tradition due to the inconveniences of school. Hopefully, next year will be my first official year without school obligations of any kind. Nonetheless, I tend to start playing Christmas music early, and eat whatever I choose on Christmas day.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Hubby and I decided back when we were dating to trade off Hollidays- one year Christmas at His Moms and the next at mine. It's worked out great so far lol. This year Christmas and Thanksgiving are combined at my parents house on Thanksgiving day- as we will be doing Christmas/ Thanksgiving at his Moms house on Christmas day.

Now having said that- His family really doesn't have any traditions...just everything gets opened on Christmas day and we have Christmas lunch there. No traditions at Thanksgiving either- just Thanksgiving lunch.

At my Parents house my Dad started a tradition on thier 1st Christmas together. 1 candle sits in the middle of the table and each person there has a candle. As certain points of the story are read each of us lights our candle. And as he reads the final passage of his birth we all put our lit candle wicks to the main one in the center of the table and light it together. They stay lit until the evening meal is eaten and all presents are opened. This takes place on Christmas eve as we have so many now. Christmas day is everyone shelpping around in our pjs enjoying a nice home made breakfast we all get together and make. The afternoon is the main event..then snacking for the rest of the day lol.
    One great pair of shoes can change your life.~~Cinderella
    Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says " ! She's up!!"

:muahaha:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 266786
    This year I'm having Mum, Martin and Daniel for dinner....probably do turkey crown, roasties, carrots, sprouts, parsnips, stuffing, bread sauce, cranberry sauce and gravy. Still trying to decide on desserts, one option will have to be christmas pudding of course! I also usually make a flan with clementines which the boys love.

Mmmm, warm mince pies with brandy butter...yum!

We also let the boys open a present on Christmas Eve as I used to when I was young, and yes we also have new PJ's!

I'll have to do dinner fairly early as I'm also hosting the evening family get together but I think instead of having mountains of food I'll just do a cheese board and meat platter with crusty bread and butter and pickles.

I usually try to have a snuggly evening in the week leading up to the day with finger food or pizza and a Christmas film, Christmas tree lighting and the fire on so we're nice and cosy!

I know we're dreading those 2 empty spaces in our hearts but I believe we'll all pull together as usual and crack on with it.
    That sounds wonderful! I know it will be tough Mairead, we're doing much the same on Christmas night. Hopefully I'll have put aside enough cookies and pies for Christmas night. I just saw a clip on tv for a gingerbread triffle that looks easy and good. Pretty too. Now however my brother may have to work Christmas night

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast