Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any spare pixiedust please to get me over rehoming our pup?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am feeling a little miserable right now and could just do with some pixiedust to see me through, is there is any spare please :(

Some of you may know that we adopted Rupert puppy, a 9 week old husky/samoyed cross, in March, mainly as company for our 2 year old cross breed Basil who was getting too bouncy for our older dog, and also because we wanted a pack of 3. As soon as he got home all three of them got on so well. But then within 36 hours he was at death's door at the vet with a stomach infection and had two operations, and though we were advised three times to let him be put to sleep we kept persevering as we already loved him and we knew he was a fighter. After two weeks in there and on a drip he survived and came home, and has been fighting fit ever since. We knew we had saved his life as the rescue would have taken the vet's advice due to the incurred costs.

Things were fine till July when Rupert and Basil had a fight about something. When I say a fight, I mean a proper one. There were a couple more in the next week and it escalated. To cut a long story short we had a dog behaviourist come and try to help and observe. They were fighting over resources, such as our attention, treats, toys, even at times a smell on the ground. Rupert is bossy, but is great with our older dog, always showing respect and behaving well, so he is not an aggressive dog. It just seems that he and Basil could not get on, and Basil's rising insecurity and nervousness made him snappy and wary. They seemed to be making each other worse.

We feel like we have tried everything now, but despite that fact that they love playing together in the garden they have to be permanently micro managed in the house. They don't fight all the time, not at all, but there would be many fights with most likely some real damage if we weren't there to intervene. We have been living with having Rupert in the kitchen with us (as that is where we spend most of our time), and Basil left out of the kitchen on the other side of the safety gate. This is not fair on Rupert as he doesn't get to go anywhere else but the garden, and not fair on Basil as he gets limited access to us. And of course we are weary from doing this all of the time. So we made the decision that we had to rehome Rupert before he was too old and had the opportunity to find a great home that would suit him.

We informed the rescue we got him from of that decision 5 weeks ago, but refused to allow him to go into their kennels, keeping him here till a suitable home came up. That time has now come and I have to take him on the 4 hour round trip on Saturday morning to meet his new people and hand him over. Although they only have a small garden they back onto a large wood for walks, and they have two teenage children who I am sure he will enjoy. He will be an only dog and so will hopefully get all the attention he needs. And it will be lovely to see Basil be a happy and secure dog again - at present he is often very nervous and frightened.

But we are both absolutely devastated that he will be going. I know it's not the end of the world, and we will get over it at some point, but we do really love him and it is going to be so hard despite it seemingly being the right thing to do. He really would be the perfect dog if we didn't have Basil. He is just brilliant. Any spare pixiedust that you have to help me feel better about this, and for Rupert to be happy in his new place would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for listening

Post Thanks / Like
    for you and for Rupert in his new home.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    oh deb i dont know what to say :( but as you said he wouldnt be here now without what you have done for him :( i know how much you love all you animals

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Deb, it is so heartbreaking I know You are doing what is best for Rupert and Basil

Maybe you could ask the new parents if you could visit him sometimes I don't know if that would be a good thing or not though, it might just open up the sadness whenever you see him

Lots of love and for you all

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much

Wendy, he will be living 2 hours drive away - well, more like 4 hours away when we move in a few weeks :( But the rescue were good enough to arrange that I meet the new owners, which is not usual. And I have written them a long letter detailing everything about him, and asking if the new people would please keep us informed on how he is doing, especially at first. If we know he is doing well then we will feel easier about it all. I have also offered to send them photos of him as a little one and all the way through, so hopefully they will be kind enough to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    BRAVO for making such a difficult decision Deb

I am certain he will have a very happy life

A big hug to you

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    My goodness, what a heartbreaking decision to make Deb but the decision you've made is the absolute best for all your babies and it shows how much you love them all. I think you're very brave and deserve a big .

Post Thanks / Like
    Ach, how hard is this to do!

You've made a careful, and responsible decision for all your dogs. Your Rupert will be well off with the new home, and your Basil will be able to become comfortable in his "old" home, once again.

Think of it as Rupert going off to University and then getting on with his adult life?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deb, post: 267661
    Wendy, he will be living 2 hours drive away - well, more like 4 hours away when we move in a few weeks :( But the rescue were good enough to arrange that I meet the new owners, which is not usual. And I have written them a long letter detailing everything about him, and asking if the new people would please keep us informed on how he is doing, especially at first. If we know he is doing well then we will feel easier about it all. I have also offered to send them photos of him as a little one and all the way through, so hopefully they will be kind enough to do it.

Oh, that is such a long way Hopefully they will send you photos of him

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast