Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh! Oh! Oh! Need your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard many of you talk about how wonderful duck fat is to use to saute things in, like potatoes (I think)?

Anyway, we've never ever seen it here until just recently when we found two small containers at a local specialty shop.

So, of course we bought them!

Now. Whadda' we do wit' 'em?

HELP!!!!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    you use it for roasting potatoes and parsnips par boil your potatoes while heating the duck fat in the oven then pop your pototoes into it for divine roasties :)

Post Thanks / Like
    just to add i re use mine i strain the bits out and re use a couple of times before i discard it :)

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use dripping too - its beef fat and is yummy on roast potatos!

Very important to let it get nice and hot though, otherwise its of no use cus its just a big lump!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 267779
    You can use dripping too - its beef fat and is yummy on roast potatos!

Very important to let it get nice and hot though, otherwise its of no use cus its just a big lump!
    I prefer beef fat to duck fat

The juices from the beef are lovely in gravy too

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    I second what Ann says.....parboil the potatoes, then drain them in the pan, then shake the pan about very vigorously so that the outsides get roughened up. This helps the fat absorb and the coating get crispy. The insides will get fluffy. As the lady said, heat the fat till it is smoking hot, then make sure the potatoes are fully basted in it before popping in the oven Duck fat and goose fat are wonderful for roast potatoes. You can make traditional larger ones this way, or ones that are chopped into small cubes, scattered with salt, pepper and thyme. You can saute these little ones too which is how I prefer them.

Or depending on how much you have you could make an authentic Duck Confit as they have in France. I love that. And yes, re use it!

A teensy bit of info here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/duck_fat

Post Thanks / Like
    the only other thing i would add is if you have a heavy tray then heat your fat in the oven, put the ring on the top on place the tray on that while you tip in the potatoes, help to start it them off really well. You're going to need a high oven for about 45 mins to get perfection

Post Thanks / Like
    Brit, I don't understand a word you said!

Debs, and Daveann, thanks. We do love confit too...

I know how to use beef, it's just the duck we've never had.

Wouldn't have thought of straining and keeping. Thanks for that too!

So, just to be sure I understand, you can use it in the oven to roast, or on top of the stove to saute?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Take the heated fat out of the oven and put it on the burner/ring (can't remember what you call them ) to keep the fat really hot while you add the potatoes, does that make sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    YES!!! Thanks for that, Brit. It was the ring bit that confused me. I had no clue what you were talking about.

Burner or jet, depending upon fuel, is what they are called here. Burner for electric and as a general term, or jet if gas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast