Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skype?

Post Thanks / Like
    Can people give me the low down on Skype?

How you use it?
    Is it free?
    Can you use it with say, 3 people?
    Do I need anything special with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Skype to Skype is free over wifi definitely I think you can now do it over 3G for free now too

You can get an account which you can call landlines on if you want

You need a device with microphone & webcam, there is an app for iPhone/pad

Not sure it you can add more than 1 person to a conversation though

Post Thanks / Like
    For multi-way chat you need skype's premium service (or at least last time I checked) which is a monthly cost of about $5 p/m if you sign up for a year.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, I may have to pay the service fee for others then, as this is what I plan on doing for the defense of my dissertation (when it's done of course, not there yet).

Post Thanks / Like
    Ducky, if you don't have to make telephone calls and only plan to use the computer you can set up a conference quite easily using Windows Live Messenger or Yahoo Messenger and include video conferencing there I believe.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Skype works great.

For single user computer to computer, it's free. However, like Josh said, if you want to do conferencing with it, you need Skype premium which costs you a few bucks a month. You can also use it to make overseas calls. Those also cost you. However, it's not much. I've used it to call our own Slowhand before and it cost me mere pennies to talk for quite a long time.

Like John said however, there are other options. Microsoft Messenger and Yahoo Messenger both run on the Mac. But there's also iChat. It can use Yahoo Messenger or AIM accounts to do video chats with.

I personally know that both Skype and iChat work quite well. In fact, we used Skype on Thanksgiving to video chat with my DW's son in California!

Tom (... it's kind of like being there...)

Post Thanks / Like
    For my dissertation there would be three of us. Maybe I can get my chair and reader into the same room with the same computer.

Thanks for the help guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 267833
    For my dissertation there would be three of us. Maybe I can get my chair and reader into the same room with the same computer.

Thanks for the help guys!
    Do you know what kind of computers they have FD? If they've got reasonably current Macs, it'd be a piece of cake to do it with iChat. Or if they're in the same room, you could use Facetime. It's too bad that Facetime is only between two users. It's the easiest and best of all of them in my opinion.

Tom (... video calls. Who'da thunkit!)

Post Thanks / Like
    The school is stuck with pcs. I think my chair has an iPad, but then my reader will be at school and I don't believe they have any macs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 267891
    The school is stuck with pcs. I think my chair has an iPad, but then my reader will be at school and I don't believe they have any macs.
    Hmm... probably Skype's your best bet then. Even if it does cost you a couple of bucks. I just noticed however that they've got a "trial" available.
    You can try out group video calls for 7 days for free.

See this page for more info.

Tom (... if it's free, it's for me!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast