Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jupiter and some Sunspots from a few weeks back

Post Thanks / Like
    These are by far a better choice (in my opinion - would love watchinherskips input) , than the stuff you get from the mall with their wobbly mounts , which can ruin your lifetimes love of a hobby before its even started

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-21...3765776&sr=8-1

or the infinity 76p amazing what you can see and a clever design that means its easy to use and stable - you will be able to see saturns rings with this ! but it will be very small

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...8877511433952#

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 268844
    These are by far a better choice (in my opinion - would love watchinherskips input) , than the stuff you get from the mall with their wobbly mounts , which can ruin your lifetimes love of a hobby before its even started

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-21...3765776&sr=8-1

or the infinity 76p amazing what you can see and a clever design that means its easy to use and stable - you will be able to see saturns rings with this ! but it will be very small

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...8877511433952#
    WOW...excellent scopes for the price, hard to go wrong with either. And pretty easy on the pocket. They are good quality for the price. Good call Chris!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought so too ! considering how much you pay for one of those true awful 'National Geographic' ones that claim to give you 300x magnification (lol)

the 76p despite its odd appearance is a genuinely wonderful litle thing and so stable and easy to track with which is what you want

Had a play with one and saw some lovely craters and the rings and moons of saturn - shoudl be able to see orion nebulosity, andromeda galaxy etc with either no problem as well and will hopefully fuel a lifetimes obsession

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for your suggestions! I really like the odd looking little blue one.
    Life is fragile. Each day really does matter. Live, live, live! Remember to love and let love, too.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I just knew you would

Post Thanks / Like
    That one looks like the old Edmund Scientific telescope. We had one at a previous school and it was a workhorse. It held up to the abuse of our students. Good choice, for price and durability.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 268488
    managed to do some long overdue photography a few weeks back.

If anyone looks South at Sundown - 8pm Jupiter is looking spectacular at the moment and is up for most of the night

I was looking at him last night through my 10x50 bins and if you hold them very still or prop them on something you can easily see 4 moons around the main disc as tiny little pinpricks of light.

This is Jupiters'boring' side - no red spot as its on the other side - managed to get some colour in Ganymede though ( thats the red moon to the upper right)
    Jupiter and Ganymede by Sidleydoc, on Flickr

Slightly less magnification 3 moons

3 moons by Sidleydoc, on Flickr

Also the sun is waking up this year and the number of sunspots has been off the chart !

Finally got the camera working as I like it and have finally managed some decent sunpot images and surface granultion

AR 2 by Sidleydoc, on Flickr

Sunspot tiny flares by Sidleydoc, on Flickr

Roll on some clear cold dark nights this season
    Wasn't able to see them from my work computer...but WOW...stunning work Chris!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123