Thread: New camera yaaaaay!!! Sports setting question first!

Post Thanks / Like
    So i was very very lucky and got a new camera for christmas - it is the one i wanted too, a panasonic lumix dmc-fz45
    It has a sports setting on it, now as far as i was aware (and this is how it was on one of my old cameras), the sports setting means that if you take a photo of a moving object it kind of freezes it so that its not at all blurred. Well, this camera isnt doing that and i dont understand why not do you think there is something im missing? is there usually something hidden that i have to set before it works?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 269508
    So i was very very lucky and got a new camera for christmas - it is the one i wanted too, a panasonic lumix dmc-fz45
    It has a sports setting on it, now as far as i was aware (and this is how it was on one of my old cameras), the sports setting means that if you take a photo of a moving object it kind of freezes it so that its not at all blurred. Well, this camera isnt doing that and i dont understand why not do you think there is something im missing? is there usually something hidden that i have to set before it works?
    oooo santa was good to someone!!!!

Hmmmm the thing is, what it tries to do is speed up the shutter to "freeze" the subject but that means less light in so in a dim room for example, it's gonna have trouble doing both.

I suspect it's a matter of balance... probably select sports but then try the creative modes to get that balance.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Keith! What you said kind of makes sense now, we eventually worked out that the sports setting only works when you have the flash on, and after what you said about the light etc i sort of understand!

Im now trying to find out where i can find the soft focus setting, i know its there somewhere cus along with the sports setting its what drew me to the camera!

My little old camera was so simple - really was a point and shoot, and although this isnt a big technical dslr camera, there are mountains and mountains of settings on there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mmmm did I you read the manual?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 269540
    Mmmm did I you read the manual?
    Skimmed is probably the best thing to say - hey, im a mum and its christmas, i dont have time to sit down and read almost 300 pages of the manual!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 269541
    Skimmed is probably the best thing to say - hey, im a mum and its christmas, i dont have time to sit down and read almost 300 pages of the manual!!
    i know lol, i don't do very well with written instructions but when i started with my camera i just read a little bit at a time then tried it out- it seemed to stick in my very un-technical brain

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 269535
    Thank you Keith! What you said kind of makes sense now, we eventually worked out that the sports setting only works when you have the flash on, and after what you said about the light etc i sort of understand!
    yeah that sounds right but I'm guessing that the other way to allow it to work would be "auto ISO" which it probably has. That's basically it's sensitivety to light and you should, somewhere, be able to say to it "increase ISO if you need to so you can keep the shutter speed fast"

Im now trying to find out where i can find the soft focus setting, i know its there somewhere cus along with the sports setting its what drew me to the camera!
    usually in creative mode - portrait setting
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 269555

usually in creative mode - portrait setting
    Ive got a portrait setting so i'll have a play around with that and see what happens! Thank you Keith!!