Thread: Bought myself a Kindle

Post Thanks / Like
    Treated myself to a Kindle today.

Anyone suggest any decent books I can stick on it.

I don't do thrillers, sci-fi, horror or anything that may scare me. The Historian was amount my gairy limit. I like historical fiction but threw Wuthering Heights across the room. I like reading about US History obviously.

Anyone give me some ideas. Got a lot of Amazon gift certificates to spend.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't do horror or sci fi either. BUT 11/22/63 by Stephen King was great. It's not his usual scary stuff. The only sci fi thing is the time travel bit

Also I absolutely loved The Hunger Games trilogy. Shocked that I would like it.

I'm currently reading a book about the history of salt

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 269582
    I'm currently reading a book about the history of salt
    huh?!

We won't go down the Wuthering Heights road again. my personal favorite

I know you have certificates, but don't forget to check out the free sections. I've found plenty through there I love, including some great classics.

I read some horror (I describe it as Law and Order with a Laugh) and then smutty romance. So I'm probably not the best person to offer suggestions. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    You did WHAT to Wuthering Heights!?! SACRILEGE!!! OK, so that particular classic isn't for you.

How about, When Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. Nigerian History. Anything by Chinua Achebe or Wole Sawyinka, Bessie Head... Nigerians, and Botswanian respectively.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Salt: A World History. It is quite interesting! http://www.amazon.com/Salt-World-His.../dp/0142001619

I read all sorts of stuff. I read a lot of murder mystery and government conspiracy stuff plus lots of historical fiction.

I think you'd really like J. Maarten Troost. He has a few books that are really good.
    The Sex Lives of Cannibals; Getting Stoned with the Savages; Lost on Planet China.

Also one of the BEST books ever is Stiff: The Curious Life of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. It is utterly fascinating and gross at the same time. She also does a really good job of being respectful of the dead and being funny too.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I loved Stiff as well as the other one she did. However, I didn't read the one about the afterlife.

Post Thanks / Like
    im a chick lit kind of girl when it comes to books, something that i can read and dont need to use my brain with!
    I do really like sophie kinsella though, the shopaholic books

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 269629
    im a chick flick kind of girl when it comes to books, something that i can read and dont need to use my brain with!
    I do really like sophie kinsella though, the shopaholic books
    You would like Jill Mansell, Lucy Diamond and Lindsey Kelk as well Kate - I'm a chicklit and vampire books type of person very strange I know

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendy, post: 269661
    You would like Jill Mansell, Lucy Diamond and Lindsey Kelk as well Kate - I'm a chicklit and vampire books type of person very strange I know
    I love all sorts of books! Sophie Kinsella also writes in another name and those are good too.

I love vampires. I absolutely adore Anne Rice. I even enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse novels (not a fan of the True Blood series though)). I just don't care for vampires who sparkle......

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 269663
    I love vampires. I absolutely adore Anne Rice. I even enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse novels (not a fan of the True Blood series though)). I just don't care for vampires who sparkle......
    I adore the Sookie books. I actually started 'reading' them as an audio book. I was hooked.

I think I like True Blood because it's so different than the books themselves. Sure, same characters, but they seem different from the novels. Even then, I love most vampire stories and movies.

While I have read and watched movies about those who sparkle, it still seems weird to me that they do. Hope that's not a trend.

Best vampire in my opinion has been Gary Oldman. Brilliant performance.

I'm currently reading a romantic-ish vampire series from J. Frost. They the Night Huntress novels. Excellent. I think I started them last week and am on the last one. I believe there are 6 of them so far.

Chloe Neill also does some good romantic-ish vampire novels. They are fantastic. Set in Chicago.