Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I Learned at Disney During Christmas - Lesson One

Post Thanks / Like
    Lesson One: Never underestimate the value of simple pleasures.

As we planned our trip, we did so realizing that the crowds might be overwhelming. So we planned to keep things simple. We came up with ideas of things we could do, if we couldn't do what we really wanted. It turned out these "Plan B" activities were our most treasured.

On Christmas Day, we spent 30 minutes unwrapping one present each... they were under $10 a piece (per house rules), they were haphazardly wrapped in leftover tissue paper (It was what we had on hand and I believe one of Andrew’s was held together with chewing gum, because we ran out of tape), and we had the time of our lives. We laughed until we thought our sides would split.

So, take time to smell the gingerbread; it will permeate your soul.

Spend an hour riding the monorail in your own car – over and over again (and again). One day your daughter might just tell you it was her “best” moment.

Play with Lincoln Logs; they build more than cabins, they build memories.

Sit and stare at the castle; you’ll see magic happen.

Watch a movie by the pool; no, it does NOT matter that you have the same movie on blue ray at home, you’re at Disney and you’re by the pool and it’s on a ginormous blow up screen. Watch it through new eyes.

Smile for every “self portrait” your daughter will want to snap with you on her new iPhone. There will be many. And you’d be wise to cherish every one.

Oh, and eat dessert first...the sweetest things should be enjoyed most fully.

These are the moments you’ll remember so much more than scoring that fast pass for Toy Story Mania.

Feel free to add your "simple treasures" to the list, I'd love to read them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Becca, that is just beautiful

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should totally frame those photos just like that

I could sit and stare at the castle and not do anything else and be perfectly happy and content.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful post! We have only traveled as a family at Christmas because of our schedules, and you are so right!

Yes, it is VERY crowded at Christmas, but if you take the time to enjoy the details, it will really amaze you. If you plan carefully, you can still hit all your favorite rides and have a great trip. Standing on Main Street with the "snow" and all the decorations is truly a priceless moment to share with a young child.

Enjoy the wonderment in all the small children around you (ok, the ones not having a meltdown) and see Disney through their eyes. It will make you melt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiequeen, post: 270042

Enjoy the wonderment in all the small children around you (ok, the ones not having a meltdown) and see Disney through their eyes. It will make you melt.
    Absolutely agree, Pixequeen!

One morning while we were at DHS (MGM), the crowds began to build so we steered clear of the rides, grabbed a snack and spent a bit of time watching the Citizens of Hollywood (the street performers who play out different sketches around the park). Their "schtick" that morning was a joke contest. They would ask a random audience member to name an object and then take turns "making _____ funny." No matter WHAT the item was, the jokes always began with, "99 ______'s walk into a bar..."

The kids couldn't get enough. The rest of the day (and at random times afterwards) one of us would randomly shout out an item and then we'd take turns making up jokes.

(Andrew): Ok, the item is...CAMERAS!!

(Baleigh): 99 cameras walk into a bar and the bartender says, "We don't serve your kind in here!!" The cameras say, "PLEASE!!! Just one little drink? We'll "flash" you!!"

(Me): Completely and utterly amazed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Love those Hollywood Street Performers. They are one of the best parts of visiting DHS.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Becca, the memories of your Christmas will be with you forever, they are just perfect. You'll be telling your great grandchildren about them

Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 270063
    Love those Hollywood Street Performers. They are one of the best parts of visiting DHS.
    John, I hide if I see one walking in my direction, I'm gone as quick as I can

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed they will, Wen. It was an amazing trip. So full of unexpected things...

Post Thanks / Like
    !!! Is it too much to ask for a trip report?

Post Thanks / Like
    Very true Becca, very true!
    Beautiful photos - i love how you have done them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast